Treat yourself to this easy and delicious maple ginger pear crisp with an amazing combination of flavors. Make it a double win by topping it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
I think it’s always a good time to have some crisp!
Crisps are one of my favorite desserts. They are simple, full of flavor, and if you don’t want to use a ton of butter making them, they will still be very tasty. I have a couple of apple crisp recipes on the blog, one is this yummy apple crisp which is very basic yet one of our very favorite crisps and the other one is apple cranberry almond crisp which was a big hit when I made it and shared it with my neighbor. Almond flour gives such a great flavor to crisps! The apple cranberry one was as so good that we decided to make it again the next day so our neighbor could take it to a potluck.
It was a couple of months ago when I decided to develop a new recipe for crisp using pears instead of apples because I believe pears are really delicious but very underappreciated: they are juicy, sweet and have a great texture, yet because them come in season with all the pumpkins and apples, they don’t get as much love as the famous fall flavors get.
But don’t worry pear lovers, this recipe is for you, and for everyone who thinks pears are “just OK”. Because pears are not just OK, they’re awesome. Especially in this maple ginger pear crisp. The flavor scream “come and eat us, we have been waiting for you for a very long time.”
I usually don’t make recipes that are for one person and this maple ginger pear crisp also wasn’t supposed to be for one, it was supposed to be for two. But when I was done photographing, I told Kyle to help himself and have some of the crisp until I do a little bit of clean up and join him. Well, I came back and the crisp was gone, I’m happy I had one spoonful before giving it to him so I could approve the flavor and quality of the crisp, otherwise I would have had to make it one more time – not that it would have been a problem.
But this crisp isn’t for two for sure, it’s for one, so double the recipe or ask the other person to go clean up the kitchen!
- 2 pears
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger (or 1 tsp powdered ginger)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp quick oatmeal (or old fashioned)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180 C. Coat the bottom of a 5 or 6 inch cast iron skillet with non stick spray.
- Cut the pears into 1.5 inch chunks.
- In a large bowl, toss the pear chunks with grated fresh ginger, cinnamon, brown sugar and maple syrup.
- Fill the cast iron skillet with the pear mixture.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, mix all the topping ingredients.
- Cover the pear mixture with the topping, bake in the oven for 20 -25 minutes until the top is golden brown and pears are soft.
- Serve immediately with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup.