Coffee is an ideal milkshake flavor for grown-ups. Made with real coffee and ice cream, this delicious homemade milkshake is ready in 2 minutes and is perfect for summer.
We can't have enough milkshakes and are adding new ones every now and then. If you're new to making milkshakes at home, start with our complete tutorial on how to make a milkshake. From classics such as vanilla milkshake to more flavored ones like cookies and cream milkshake and our coconut milkshake for chocolate lovers, we have all the milkshakes you need!
What makes a good milkshake?
We are here with another milkshake recipe and this one is an absolute favorite! It has so much flavor and is a very adult-friendly milkshake. A good milkshake is made with good ice cream so it's important that you get real ice cream.
A delicious and creamy milkshake like this one is what I need during hot summer months and nothing can beat this flavor when I'm in the moode for a caffeinated treat. This coffee flavored milkshake is made with real coffee and trust me, one glass is not going to be enough.
Here's what you'll need:
- Brewed coffee: The stronger the coffee, the more flavor the milkshake will have!
- Vanilla ice cream: Get real ice cream for this milkshake, it'll make it creamy and thick!
- Cocoa powder: To enhance the flavor, we add just a little bit of cocoa powder.
I love topping milkshakes with whipped cream but this is a totally optional step.
Make sure the ice cream is cold. Place the ice cream, cold coffee, ice (if using) and cocoa powder in a blender jar. Seal the lid and blend until creamy and combined. Divide between glasses and top with whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Frequently asked questions
You can use low fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt to make this recipe, but the flavor and texture might not be the same.
Yes! You can easily use cold brew coffee for this recipe. You can make homemade cold brew (check out the recipe on Food52) or you can get it at a supermarket. As for the flavor, using cold brew would make your milkshake stronger in flavor.
Absolutely. If you like your milkshake strong, then use coffee ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream in this homemade coffee milkshake recipe. Coffee ice cream can give your milkshake a stronger flavor compared to milkshakes made with vanilla ice cream.
Milkshakes don't stay well in the fridge as the ice cream starts to melt right away. Therefore, it's best to serve it right away or make it right before serving. It's important to make sure that the ice cream and the milk are both cold.
Yes. You can either add it directly to the blender with the other ingredients or mix it in some water before adding it to the other ingredients.
Almond milk makes good milkshake because of its creamy texture. Simply go with a 1:1 ratio and use almond milk instead of dairy milk. You can also use cashew or coconut milk if desired.
Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Coffee banana: Add one banana to this recipe.
- Chocolate coffee: Add 2 tablespoons chocolate sauce to the milkshake before blending.
- Nutella coffee: Use 2 tablespoons Nutella with the ice cream in the blender.
More milkshake recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Best Ever Coffee Milkshake
- ½ cup brewed coffee cold
- 1 ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ cup ice optional
- whipped cream to top
- Place the ice cream, coffee, cocoa powder and ice in a blender.
- Blend for about 30 seconds until all is well combined and creamy.
- Divide between two glasses and top with whipped cream.
- Serve immediately.
- You can use coffee ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream for this recipe.
- Almond or cashew milk would work in this recipe as well.
- You can use cold brew coffee instead of regular coffee.