Persian Style Shrimp and Rice (Meygoo Polo)
The good old shrimp and rice recipe made with a Persian twist. Learn how to make this shrimp recipe watching the video and step-by-step tutorial. It's the perfect weeknight dinner made in a short time with fresh ingredients. This dish is packed with delicious and warm middle eastern spices!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt more if needed
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper see notes
Prepare the rice
In a sauce pan, add the rice, water, one tablespoon vegetable oil and salt.
Bring to simmer and cook until the water is almost evaporated.
Place the lid on and cook the rice for another 5 minutes on low heat.
Turn the heat off and leave the rice covered and untouched for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, lightly fluff the rice using a fork.
Prepare the shrimp
Heat one tablespoon vegetable oil in a pan and saute onion until golden brown.
Stir in garlic and cook for a minute.
Stir in ginger and add the shrimp. Cook for about 2 minutes.
Add in tomato paste, turmeric, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir well to mix the ingredients.
Cook for a few more minutes until the shrimp is fully cooked.
In a platter, add a layer of rice and top with the shrimp and onion mix. Repeat until all the shrimp and rice is in the platter. (You can also add the rice to the shrimp and onion in the pan if the pan is large enough)
Using two forks, mix the rice and shrimp lightly.
- You can use 1 tsp garlic powder instead of fresh garlic and 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder instead of fresh ginger.
- This dish has a spicy kick so if you don't like spicy food, please use less cayenne pepper or leave it out. If you like the dish to be spicier, add more cayenne pepper.
Serving: 4servings | Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 239mg | Sodium: 1960mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g