Alaska Cod Fish Curry
This fish curry with coconut milk is an easy dish packed with flavor. Flaky and tender Alaska cod simmered in a delicious onion and tomato curry sauce makes the perfect meal.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger grated or minced
- 1 Serrano pepper seeds removed and finely diced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 lb Alaska cod cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
Heat ghee in a pan over medium heat.
Sauté onion. garlic and fresh ginger until translucent.
Add in diced serrano pepper and cook for a minute.
Stir in diced tomatoes and add coriander powder, cardamom, paprika, turmeric, garam masala and salt to the onion and tomato combination.
Stir and cover the pan to let the vegetables and spices cook together for a few minutes.
Pour in water and coconut milk. Bring it to a slow simmer.
Add in chunks of Alaska cod and nestle them in the sauce.
Let the curry simmer and the cod cook for about ten minutes until the fish is cooked completely.
Serve warm with basmati rice, lime and fresh tomatoes.
- Use white or yellow onion to make cod curry as red onion has a distinct flavor that might affect the rest of the dish.
- To make fish curry, please use fresh tomatoes as they have less juice than canned tomatoes. We don't want our curry to be too watery.
- You can use fresh or frozen Alaska cod for this coconut fish curry recipe. If using frozen cod, thaw it first as directed on the package.
- Cut the cod into 1 1/2 inch pieces before adding to the curry. Bite sized cod is easier to eat and cooks faster.
- I always use fresh ginger and grate it right into the pan using a small grater without peeling it. Fresh ginger gives a nice kick to the dish so don't leave it out.
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 685mg | Potassium: 992mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 841IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 2mg