Easy Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
Try this easy recipe for homemade Greek chicken souvlaki. Made with a delicious garlic and lemon marinade, this classic street food is packed with amazing Mediterranean flavors and served with creamy tzatziki sauce.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast boneless and skinless
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 lemons juice of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 cloves garlic minced
Cut the chicken breast into one inch cubes and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, salt, dried oregano and minced garlic. Add the chicken cubes to the marinade and mix well.
Cover with a plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least one hour or overnight.
Once ready to cook, heat a grill pan over medium high heat.
Thread the chicken pieces on wooden skewers. Do not crowd the skewers.
Place the skewers in the pan and grill them for 5 minutes on each side until fully cooked. Make sure not to move the skewers too much.
Once ready, serve chicken souvlaki with fresh and warm pita bread, homemade tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, onions and olives.
- The marinade for chicken souvlaki is perfect for freezing. You can simply place the chicken pieces and marinade in a freezer bag and freeze for up to one month. To cook, thaw the chicken in the fridge and then proceed with the grilling instructions. You can double and triple the recipe and freeze some of the marinated chicken to use later.
- The longer the chicken marinates, the moister and more flavorful it's going to be so if you can, marinate it overnight.
- You can use a mixture of chicken breast and chicken thighs for this Greek souvlaki recipe. Just make sure the chicken pieces are the same size for even cooking.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days.
- Make sure the grill (indoor or outdoor) is set on medium-high to get that crispy texture outside and keep all the juice inside.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 781mg | Potassium: 741mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 68IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg