Turkish Bulgur Pilaf Recipe
Turkish style bulgur pilaf is a classic hearty and healthy side dish dish that is very easy to make. It's a great alternative to rice and can be served with many dishes.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 cups bulgur coarse
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 3 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ½ cup water
Place the bulgur in a bowl and rinse a few times. Set it aside.
Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion until translucent and then add the minced garlic. Cook for a minute.
Add in the diced green pepper and cook for a few minutes until it softens.
Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well. Cook until they start releasing their juice.
Add the tomato paste and stir well so it combines with the other ingredients.
Add the salt and pepper and add in the rinsed bulgur. Stir well.
Turn the heat to medium high and add in the water. Once it comes to a simmer, lower the heat to medium, cover with a lid and cook for about 20-25 minutes until the water is almost completely evaporated.
Wrap the lid in a clean kitchen towel and place it on the pot. Turn the heat to medium low and cook for another 10 minutes.
Turn the heat off the let the bulgur sit for 5 minutes untouched, then fluff it with a fork and serve.
- As mentioned before, bulgur comes in different sizes. To make Turkish bulgur pilaf, you should look for coarse bulgur. As for the color, you might see both light and dark varieties available. I suggest you choose the lighter one.
- Bulgur absorbs water as it cooks and it becomes fluffy. Check out the water while cooking the bulgur and add more water, ⅓ cup at a time if you feel that it's not cooked yet.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply microwave or heat on the stove top over medium low heat.
- You can always add more vegetables to bulgur such as mushrooms, corn or green peas.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 366mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 589IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg