Turkish Homemade Potato Salad (Patates Salatasi)
Learn how to make homemade potato salad Turkish style. This no mayo potato salad is flavored with fresh herbs and delicious spices.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 large potatoes Yukon gold or Russet
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ½ cup green onion chopped
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- ½ cup Kalamata olives pitted and halved
- 2 eggs boiled and peeled
Wash the potatoes and place them in a large pot. Fill the pot with water until it covers the potatoes. Add a generous pinch of salt and place the pot over medium high heat.
Bring the water to boil and let the potatoes cook for about 20-30 minutes until they are fork tender. Drain and let the potatoes cool completely.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into chunks. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix olive oil, Aleppo pepper, sumac and salt. Mix well.
Add the potatoes to the dressing and stir gently to cover all the potatoes in the dressing.
Add chopped green onion, parsley, and halved Kalamata olives to the potatoes and stir well.
Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Top with quartered boiled eggs right before serving.
- Some Turkish cooks add chopped or sliced white onion to this homemade potato salad. I have made this salad with and without onions, and both versions are delicious.
- Cook the potatoes whole and not chopped. When potatoes are cooked whole, they maintain their texture and flavor better.
- The dressing for this potato salad doesn't call for lemon juice because of sumac, but if you like a bit of acidity in the salad, add the juice of ½ lemon to the dressing.
- I prefer using extra virgin olive oil for this recipe because I love the flavor, however, you can use regular olive oil or light olive oil as well.
Calories: 475kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 618mg | Potassium: 1662mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1093IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 4mg