Turkish Baked Cod Recipe
This Turkish-style baked cod recipe is a keeper. Tender cod pieces are cooked in a delicious pepper and tomato sauce.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 lb cod fillets
- 2 lemons sliced
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add in chopped bell pepper and tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are soft.
Add in salt, pepper and oregano. Stir well.
Transfer the veggies into an oven safe dish.
Sprinkle salt and pepper on the cod fillets.
Place the cod fillets on top of the veggies and top the fillets with lemon slices.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the fish is fully cooked.
Serve with your favorite side dish.
- This baked cod recipe calls for dried oregano. However, you can use fresh oregano as well, simply take the fresh oregano out of the pan before serving.
- I cooked the vegetables in a pan and transferred everything to a clay pan before baking it in the oven. If using a cast iron skillet, there's no need to transfer the ingredients to another pan since you can use it on the stove to cook the vegetables and then to bake the fish in the oven.
- Don't use butter instead of olive oil as it will alter the flavors. Mediterranean cuisine tends to favor olive oil over butter.
- Roma tomatoes work best in this recipe since they have a lot of flesh and are not too seedy.
- It's best to eat this dish fresh and on the same day, but if you have leftovers, store it in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days.
Calories: 307kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 1328mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1649IU | Vitamin C: 104mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 2mg