Mediterranean Lentil Salad Recipe
This Mediterranean lentil salad is healthy and very easy to make. Loaded with delicious vegetables, this salad is ready in about 30 minutes!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 ½ cup green lentils rinsed
- 1 red onion chopped
- ½ cup olives Green or kalamata
- 2 Persian cucumbers chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- ½ cup dill chopped
Lemon oregano dressing
- 1 lemon juice of
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
Place the lentils in a sauce pan and pour enough water to cover the lentils. Add 1 teaspoon salt and place the sauce pan over medium heat. Bring it to a rolling boil and cover. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes until the lentils are completely cooked. You know they're cooked when they're easy to chew.
Once the lentils are cooked, drain and discard the excess water and let the lentils cool completely.
In a large bowl mix cooled lentils with red onion, olives, cucumber, tomatoes, parsley and dill.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad and give it a nice stir to make sure all the ingredients are well combined.
Serve immediately or chill in the fridge for a few minutes before serving.
Lemon oregano dressing
In a jar mix lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, sumac, cayenne and salt. Seal the jar and shake it well before using it.
- You can use green or brown lentils for this recipe. However, red lentils don't work for this recipe since they lose their shape when cooked.
- It's best to use jarred olives or olives purchased at the Mediterranean bar of your local supermarket for this recipe. Canned olives don't have as much flavor as marinated ones.
- Since this hearty lentil salad contains tomatoes and cucumbers, it's best to have it right away. However, you can also store leftovers in an airtight glass container for up to two days. I don't suggest freezing this salad because of the fresh vegetables.
- You can cook the lentils 2 days in advance and assemble the salad right before serving.
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 569mg | Potassium: 940mg | Fiber: 24g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1585IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 7mg