Turkish Bulgur Salad (Kisir) with Video
An easy bulgur salad recipe that's perfect for any day. Made with bulgur, olive oil and herbs, this salad in ready in less than 30 minutes!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 ½ cup fine bulgur
- 2 ½ cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sweet pepper paste see notes
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint chopped
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Place bulgur in a large bowl and pour the boiling water on it. Stir well. Cover with a lid or a plate and let it sit for about 15 minutes until cooked.
Once the bulgur is cooked and cooled, fluff it using a fork.
To the bulgur, add tomato paste, pepper paste, olive oil and pomegranate molasses. Stir well so all bulgur grains are combined.
Add in chopped green onion, parsley and mint to the bulgur. Mix well.
Season well with salt and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving.
- Make sure you're using fine bulgur and not coarse bulgur for this salad recipe. Fine bulgur cooks faster and you don't need to cook it in a pot over heat.
- It's best to use fresh herbs to make this recipe. However, if fresh herbs are not available, use dried herbs.
- If you cannot find pomegranate molasses, please use 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Taste the salad and add more lemon juice if you like it tangier.
- You can find pepper paste at Mediterranean and Turkish shops. Make sure it's sweet and not hot. Pepper paste adds a nice color and flavor to this bulgur wheat salad. If not available, simply use tomato paste.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 6 days.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 332mg | Potassium: 247mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2037IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2mg