Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe
Greek lemon chicken orzo soup is easy and packed with flavor. This healthy soup is creamy, hearty and so tasty, perfect for a cozy dinner.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup carrots diced
- 1 large russet potato peeled and cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup orzo
- ½ cup fresh dill chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 lemon juice of
Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Brush the chicken breast with 2 tablespoons olive oil on both sides and generously season with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper.
Place the chicken on the baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until the chicken breast is completely cooked. Let it cook for a few minutes and then shred or chop it.
As the chicken is cooking in the oven, heat the remaining olive oil in a large pot. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until golden brown.
Add in carrots and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the potatoes, dried oregano, paprika, cumin and the remaining salt to the soup and stir well.
Pour in the chicken stock and bring the soup to simmer. Add the orzo to the soup and let the soup cooks on medium until the orzo is completely cooked. Add the shredded chicken back to the soup.
Stir in spinach, dill and lemon juice. Let the soup cook for a few minutes until the spinach is wilted. Taste the soup and add more salt or lemon if you like. Serve warm.
You can also make this Greek lemon chicken orzo soup recipe in the slow cooker and the instant pot:
Slow cooker chicken orzo soup recipe:
Lemon chicken orzo soup in instant pot:
- Brush the chicken with 2 tablespoons olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the slow cooker and add chopped onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, spices and chicken stock to the crock pot. Cook on high for about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Take the chicken out and chop or shred. Return the chicken back to the slow cooker and add the orzo pasta to the soup. Cook uncovered on high for 30 minutes until the orzo is cooked and then add lemon, dill and spinach.
- Cook for a few more minutes until spinach is wilted. Taste the soup before serving and add more salt or lemon if needed.
- Cut the chicken into small chunks and season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Turn the pot on to "saute" function. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the pot and saute onion and garlic until golden. Add in the chicken and saute until golden on all sides (don't skip this step). Add in the carrot, potato, spices and the orzo. Give it a nice stir and then add 6 cups chicken broth.
- Secure the lid and turn the steam knob to sealing. Press the pressure cook (manual) button and set the timer for 5 minutes. When the cooking time is done, do a quick release. It's best to place a kitchen towel on the instant pot when doing a quick release to prevent the drops.
- When the pin in the lid drops down, open the lid and add the lemon, spinach and dill. Press the sauté button and let the soup simmer until spinach is wilted. Taste and add more salt or lemon if needed.
- For this chicken orzo soup recipe, I used white orzo which cooks quicker. If using whole wheat orzo, make sure to increase the cooking time on all three methods of cooking.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days. You can reheat this soup in the microwave or in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- If the soup is too thick, add more water or chicken stock to the soup. You can also substitute water for chicken stock in this recipe.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 1104mg | Potassium: 983mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3091IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 3mg