Menemen Turkish Eggs and Tomatoes Recipe
Menemen is a traditional Turkish breakfast recipe made with tomatoes and eggs. Learn how to make it at home with a few ingredients.
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes finely chopped or grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
Saute onion until translucent. Add in green pepper and cook until soft.
Add in the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally until they are soft and some of the water is evaporated.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add the eggs to the tomatoes. Cook and stir occasionally until the eggs are just cooked and mixed with the tomatoes.
Serve immediately with bread.
- To make Kasarli menemen, sliced or grated kasar(kashar) cheese to the menemen at the very end and stir gently until it's melted.
- Menemen recipe with feta: Sprinkle feta or white cheese on the menemen right before serving.
- You can add the eggs directly to the tomatoes or you can whisk them with salt and pepper in a bowl and then add them to the pan.
- Stir the eggs constantly into the tomatoes so they combine completely. Stirring will also prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Make sure not to overcook the eggs. Menemen is not supposed to be dried or crumbled. It's supposed to have a spreadable texture.
- It's best to have Turkish eggs and tomatoes fresh. However, you can store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to two days. To reheat, you can either use the microwave or heat in a pan over medium heat.
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 246mg | Sodium: 686mg | Potassium: 569mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1609IU | Vitamin C: 69mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 2mg