Turkish Rice Pudding Recipe (Sutlac)
If you love light and creamy desserts, Turkish rice pudding recipe is it. Creamy and rich with a golden top, this baked rice pudding is also gluten-free. Learn how to make this tasty dessert with this tutorial and step-by-step photos.
Servings: 4 servings
- ½ cup short grain rice
- 6 ⅓ cups whole milk divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
Place the rice and 2 cups whole milk in a large pot. Cook over medium heat until the rice is fully cooked.
Add 4 cups whole milk to the cooked rice and bring it to a simmer.
Add in vanilla extract and sugar and stir well.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and the remaining ⅓ cup whole milk to make a slurry. Add it to the rice and milk and simmer over medium low heat for about 25 minutes until it thickens.
Preheat the oven to 400°F and place 4 oven-safe ramekins in a 9x13 baking pan.
Divide the rice pudding between the ramekins. Fill the baking pan halfway with water. This will prevent the rice pudding from drying.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the tops are brown. Check constantly to make sue they're brown enough for your liking.
Once the rice pudding is ready, cool it at room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- If using cooked rice, skip step one and proceed with the recipe.
- You can make this rice pudding recipe a couple of days in advance.
- Refrigerate the leftovers for up to 4 days.
- You can use any kind of short grain rice for this recipe.
- Low fat and non-fat milk cannot be used in this recipe.