Easy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Instant pot chicken and rice is ready in less than 30 minutes! Packed with veggies and so much flavor, this dish is perfect for a quick dinner!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Instant pot chicken and rice
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup white button mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cup Basmati rice
- 2 cups water
In a small bowl, mix the spices and divide it in half.
Season the chicken breasts on both sides and let them sit as you’re preparing the rest of the ingredients.
Press the “saute” button on the pressure cooker and pour in the olive oil. Saute onion and garlic until golden, add in the mushrooms and cook it for a minute. Add carrots and peas to the pot and stir well.
To the onion and mushrooms, add the rice and the remaining of the spice mix. Stir well and add the water. Scrape the bottom to make sure nothing is sticking.
Place the chicken on top of the rice and veggie, do not stir, and lock the lid. Make sure the valve is on “sealing”.
Press “cancel” and then press “pressure cook” and make sure it’s set on high. Set the timer for 8 minutes.
Once the cooking time is done, let the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release and serve.
- To turn this into a complete meal, you can serve this dish with Mediterranean salad, Cucumber tomato feta salad or Persian Salad Shirazi.
- If the chicken breasts are too thick, cut them in half widthwise to make sure they cook completely.
- You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. The cooking time will stay the same.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Looking for more flavor? Add a can of chickpeas (drained) instead of peas. You can also make this dish spicy by adding ½ tsp cayenne pepper to the spice mix.
- Instead of water, you can use chicken or vegetable stock to cook the rice and chicken.
Calories: 500kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 739mg | Potassium: 826mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3713IU | Vitamin C: 51mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2mg