Easy Chicken Gyro Recipe (Super Juicy!)
This chicken gyro recipe is easy and exceptionally delicious. The marinade makes the chicken extra flavorful and juicy. Stuff it into a pita with fresh veggies and homemade tzatziki for a fabulous Greek deliciousness!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 lb chicken tenders
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon juice of
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic minced
Pat dry the chicken tenders and set aside.
In a large bowl mix Greek yogurt, lemon juice, 2 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Add the chicken tenders and make sure it's covered with yogurt marinade.
Cover and marinade for one hour up to 6 hours in the fridge.
Once ready to cook, heat one tablespoon olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Once the oil is hot and shimmery, using a pair of tongs, take the chicken out of the marinade and shake off the excess yogurt.
Place the chicken in the pan and sear on one side for 5 minutes until golden brown.
Flip and sear on the other side for 5 minutes until the chicken tender is cooked through.
- Check out our recipe for homemade tzatziki.
- In addition to red onion, parsley and tomatoes, you can also serve chicken gyros with Mediterranean salad or traditional Greek salad.
- As for other side dishes, you can try Greek potatoes, fried eggplants and skordalia.
- Leftovers: You can keep marinated chicken tenders in the fridge for up to 48 hours. If you have leftover cooked chicken gyro, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- For the yogurt marinade, you can use whole milk or low fat yogurt. My preference is whole milk yogurt since it gives a nice crispy crust to the chicken.
- Make sure not to overcook the chicken. We want the chicken tenders to be truly “tender” and juicy - not tough and rubbery.
- If chicken tenders are not available, you can use sliced chicken breast for this recipe.
- To make this recipe ahead of time, prepare the marinade and marinate the chicken overnight. Refrigerate the marinated chicken until you’re ready to cook.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 694kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 61g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 162mg | Sodium: 1609mg | Potassium: 1163mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1251IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 259mg | Iron: 3mg