Best Homemade Hummus Recipe
This is the ultimate homemade hummus recipe. It’s smooth and creamy with a bright flavor, and pairs perfectly with bread! Follow along for tip and tricks, a video tutorial and complete details!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup dry chickpeas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 3 tbsp cold water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and fill the bowl with cold water. Let it soak at room temperature for 12 hours or overnight.
Fill a pot with water and place it over high heat. Cover and bring the water to boil.
Drain the chickpeas and add them to the boiling water with 1 tsp baking soda.
Boil for about 30 minutes until the chickpeas are cooked and soft. The skin will start floating on the surface as it cooks. Discard the skins as they float.
Drain the chickpeas and let them cool.
Once the chickpeas are cool, place them in the bowl of a food processor with garlic and tahini. Blend for about one minute until chickpeas are coarse.
Add in the water, salt and lemon juice. Blend until completely smooth and creamy. This would take about four minutes of blending.
Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and spread it using a spoon. Drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil and top with Aleppo pepper and sumac if desired.
- Hummus should be smooth and creamy but not runny. Once the blending is done, check your hummus and add one more tablespoon of cold water if needed.
- While making hummus with dry beans gives you the creamiest hummus, it’s also possible to make hummus with canned beans. The directions are exactly the same, simply skip the cooking part.
- If you’re looking for a quick spicy hummus recipe, check out our harissa hummus recipe.
- Once the hummus is ready, cover it and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so for the flavors to get together.
- Freezing instructions: Once the hummus is ready, transfer it to a freezer bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the fridge overnight and transfer to a bowl, stir well and add a splash of extra virgin olive oil for fresh flavor. Serve with pita.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 625mg | Potassium: 529mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 47IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 4mg