Easy Patatas Bravas Recipe
Patatas bravas is a classic Spanish tapas dish. Crispy potatoes topped with spicy tomato sauce and garlic aioli makes a simple but tasty recipe!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 russet potatoes washed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
Tomato Brava sauce
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¾ cup water
Fill a saucepan with water and bring it to boil over high heat.
Add the potatoes and baking soda. Stir and cook for two minutes. Drain immediately.
Return the potatoes back into the hot saucepan and give it a stir to dry out.
Add in one tablespoon of olive oil and salt. Stir so all potatoes are covered with olive oil.
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Once it's shimmery, add the potatoes and cook for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure they get golden and crispy on all sides.
Serve with brava sauce and homemade aioli.
Tomato brava sauce
Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Saute minced garlic for a few seconds until it's fragrant. Add in smoked paprika, cayenne, oregano and salt. Cook for a few minutes.
Add in the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes. Add in the water and bring it to a low simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Since we are not deep frying the potatoes, patience and occasional stirring is the key to this recipe. Please make sure the potatoes get crispy on all sides while stirring them.
- These potatoes are best served fresh and right out of the pan, therefore I don’t recommend making them ahead of time.
- However, you can make the brava sauce ahead of time and drizzle it over the potatoes when they’re ready to serve.
- If russet potatoes are not available, yukon gold potatoes would work in this recipe as well.
- Increase the amount of cayenne pepper in the bravas sauce if you’d like the sauce to be spicier.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1290mg | Potassium: 586mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 533IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg