Easy Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Moroccan chickpea stew is made with simple ingredients and flavored with warm spices. It’s easy and ready in no time!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 russet potato chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 oz chopped tomatoes canned
- 15 oz chickpeas canned
- 6 cups canned vegetable stock
- 1 lemon juice of
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Saute onion until translucent and starts turning golden. Add in garlic and cook for a minute.
Add in carrot and potatoes. Stir well to combine.
To the carrots and potatoes, add the tomato paste, harissa, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, coriander, turmeric and salt.
Add the canned tomatoes and chickpeas and give the stew a nice stir.
Pour in the vegetable stock and bring the stew to a simmer.
Cover and cook for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked.
Take the lid off, add the lemon juice and cilantro. Stir and serve warm.
- If cilantro is not available, use chopped parsley instead.
- This chickpea stew is quite spicy so if you're not a fan of spicy food you can start by 1 teaspoon harissa and add more if needed.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- You can add other vegetables such as cauliflower or green beans to this stew.
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2292mg | Potassium: 1032mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 6528IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 5mg