Italian Skillet Chicken Recipe
Ready in 30 minutes, this Italian chicken skillet recipe is a great option for a healthy and comforting dinner. This is a simple skillet chicken recipe that calls for real ingredients and is seasoned with bright spices and lemon.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 lemon juice of
Pat dry the chicken and season with oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder on all sides.
Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat until it's shimmery but not smoking. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet and sear for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip and sear for another 4 minutes on the other side until golden. Take the chicken out of the skillet and set it aside.
Heat one tablespoon olive oil in the same skillet. Saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add in the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are blistered. Add in the spinach and capers and cook until the spinach is wilted.
Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook for a minute. Add lemon juice and serve immediately.
- Pat drying the chicken will help it sear and brown better and will also keep it from splattering oil all over.
- You can also use chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.
- Make sure to season the chicken breast well on both sides. No one likes bland chicken for dinner.
- Cast iron skillet keeps the heat pretty well. Therefore make sure the skillet is not too hot otherwise your chicken will not cook evenly and completely.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also freeze this dish for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 784mg | Potassium: 663mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1271IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg