Grilled Spatchcock Chicken
Grilled spatchcock chicken is easy to infuse with Mediterranean flavors! Juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, every bite of this chicken is delicious.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 3-4 pound whole chicken spatchcocked
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon juice of
In a bowl mix olive oil and lemon juice with garlic powder, sumac, oregano, paprika, allspice, cardamom, cayenne pepper and salt.
Gently loosen the skin on the chicken with your fingers so you rub the marinade under the skin and on the meat.
Rub some of the marinade on the cut side of the chicken and the remaining under and on the skin. Let the chicken marinate for 4-8 hours. If you don't have the time, 30 minutes would work just fine.
Heat the grill to two-zone heating. Meaning have all the coals on one half of the grill and keep the other half empty. Now you have direct and indirect heat. Heating up a charcoal grill takes about 20 to 25 minutes.
Place the spatchcocked chicken on indirect heat, cut side down and grill for about 40 minutes until the internal temperature registers at 165°F. Then move the chicken to the direct heat and grill, skin side down for about 5 to 10 minutes to get the grill marks and the crispy skin. Check the chicken after 5 minutes to make sure the skin won't burn.
- Rub the marinade both on and under the skin. Loosen the skin gently with your fingers without ripping it and rub the meat with the marinade Then rub the rest of the marinade on the skin. As you move your hands on the chicken, the marinade also spreads under the skin.
- It’s best to marinate the chicken overnight, but if you don’t have time, 30 minutes work just fine.
- You can use homemade seven spice blend for the marinade.
- Make sure the chicken is at room temperature before you put it on the grill. Cold chicken takes longer to cook and it might not cook evenly.
- Start with grilling the chicken on indirect heat (more on that below) and then char the skin on the direct heat.
- When the chicken is ready, let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing for the juices to stay in the meat and not ooze out.
- Here are a few suggestions for side dishes to serve with grilled spatchcock chicken:
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 478mg | Potassium: 295mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 625IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 2mg