Turkish Rice Pilaf with Orzo Recipe
Turkish rice pilaf with orzo is a simple side dish you can serve with almost anything. It calls for only 4 ingredients and is ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- ½ cup orzo
- 2 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
Soak rice in water for one hour before you start cooking.
When you're ready to cook, rinse the rice a few times, drain and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the orzo and cook over medium heat for a few minutes until golden brown and toasted.
Add the rice and sauté for a few minutes.
Add in salt and water. Bring to boil.
Lower the heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
Uncover, wrap the lid in a kitchen towel and place it back on the pot. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Turn the heat off and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Fluff rice pilaf with orzo using a fork and serve with your favorite main dish.
- Use chicken or vegetable stock instead of water if you like your rice pilaf to be richer.
- You can add diced carrots, peas or corn to the rice with water and cook.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Add allspice, nutmeg, paprika and black pepper for extra flavor.
- Squeezing fresh lemon on the rice pilaf before serving gives it such bright flavor.
Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 599mg | Potassium: 148mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg