Skillet Chicken and Butternut Squash Recipe
An easy skillet chicken and butternut squash dinner that's ready in 30 minutes. Juicy chicken and butternut squash are flavored with honey, mustard and spices to make a wonderful meal.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 ½ lb chicken tenders
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 large onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb butternut squash cut into small cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
In a bowl mix chicken tenders, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
Heat the skillet over medium heat and sear the chicken for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. They don't need to be cooked completely. Take the chicken out of the skillet and onto a plate.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the same pan over medium heat.
Sauté onion until golden and soft. Add in minced garlic and cook for one minute.
Add butternut squash and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and stir. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
Place the chicken back in the skillet and add the honey and dijon mustard. Pour in the chicken broth and gently stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until the butternut squash is fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
Turn the heat off and add the walnuts and pomegranates.
- You can marinade the chicken tenders and keep in the fridge a few hours ahead of time and start cooking when you're ready.
- Instead of chicken tenders, you can use boneless skinless chicken breast cut into small pieces or chicken thighs. Cooking time might vary.
- If you like this dish to be a bit spicy, add ¼ tsp cayenne pepper to the spice mix and olive oil.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Calories: 543kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 797mg | Potassium: 1269mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 12105IU | Vitamin C: 36mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2mg