Persian Cold Yogurt Soup – Abdoogh Khiar
Stay cool this summer with this Persian Cold Yogurt Soup - Abdoogh Khiar. This tasty yogurt soup is made with simple, natural and healthy ingredients.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 5 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 2 Persian cucumbers diced
- 4 tablespoons raisins
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnut
- 1 cup chopped herbs mint, parsley, dill and basil
- 2 teaspoons powdered Persian dried rose petals optional
- 4 Lavash bread
Mix yogurt, water, salt and dried mint in a bowl (or in a blender) until fully combined.
Divide chopped cucumbers, raisins, chopped walnut and chopped herbs between four bowls.
Pour the yogurt and water mixture in each bowl.
Tear dried thin bread into small pieces and add some to each bowl, have the bread pieces soak for some time. Top with powdered dried Persian rose petals and add ice.
- I use California seedless raisins but if you have like other raisins, go with them.
- For herbs, I use a combination of mint, parsley, dill and basil. What we want here is the flavor and aroma of an herb combination. If you don't have all these herbs at hand, just use a couple of them. You can also use chives, tarragon or even cilantro if you like. I tried cilantro instead of parsley and liked it.
- You can find dried mints in the spice aisle of almost every supermarket.
- Dried Persian rose petals are available in Middle Eastern/Iranian shops or sometimes Turkish shops. You can rub them between your fingers to powder them or use a clean coffee grinder and grind just the petals. This is an optional ingredient. It makes the cold yogurt soup very tasty but it's not necessary.
- The ratio of the ingredients are totally up to you and your preference. I always like my soup to be somehow thicker because the ice melts and makes it just right.
- As for bread, traditionally we use lavash. I didn't dry it here but you can simply cut it into small pieces and bake it in the oven (400F) for 10 minutes until crispy and dry. You can also use flour tortilla if you can't find lavash. And if you can't find either of these two, just go with any bread you have. It's going to taste fantastic!
- Fat free Greek yogurt works best here.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 942mg | Potassium: 399mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 177IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 4mg