Ghormeh Sabzi - Persian Herb Stew
Ghormeh Sabzi is among the most essential Persian recipes. It is often considered to be the national dish of Iran and its rich, aromatic flavor is celebrated in Persian communities around the world. Consisting of flavorful herbs and lamb, ghormeh sabzi is a cornerstone of Persian cuisine.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup dry kidney beans See the notes for using canned beans
- 4 bunches parsley
- 3 bunches cilantro
- 2 bunches chives
- 1 bunch fenugreek or 1 tablespoon dry fenugreek leaves
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil + 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1.5 lb beef or lamb cubed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4-5 cups water
- 4-5 Persian dried limes Limoo amani
- Salt and pepper to taste
Soak kidney beans in a bowl of water for 2-3 hours.
Wash parsley, cilantro, chives and fenugreek. Pat dry and chop very finely.
Heat a dry pan on low heat and saute the herbs for about 10 minutes until they dry out a bit. Add ⅓ cup vegetable oil and saute for 15 more minutes on low heat. Set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent.
Add cubed beef or lamb and turmeric, Saute until the color is light brown.
Add 4-5 cups of water and bring to boil, then turn the heat to medium-low so it simmers lightly.
Rinse kidney beans and add it to the stew.
Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Add sauteed herbs and cover. Cook for 1 - 1 ½ hour on low heat.
Poke Persian dried limes with a fork and add them to the stew. Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 15 minutes.
- In case of using canned kidney beans, rinse them and add them in the end right before Persian dried lime.
- You can make ghormeh sabzi using dried herb mix. Soak the herb mix in water for 10 minutes, squeeze out the water and saute the herbs in vegetable or olive oil. Then proceed with the recipe. (more information in the post)
- To make ghormeh sabzi in instant pot:
- Press saute button on instant pot and heat the vegetable oil. Saute onion until golden brown and add the lamb and turmeric. Sear until brown.
- In a large pan, cook the herbs with oil for about 15 minutes until dark in color.
- Add the herbs to the lamb and onion. Add water and lock the lid. Set the timer for 20 minutes. When the time is up, do a natural release.
- Open the lid and add rinsed canned kidney beans and poked Persian dried limes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press the saute button and simmer with the lid off for about 15 minutes.
- To make ghormeh sabzi in slow cooker:
- Follow the recipe up until having sauteed onion and lamb and sauteed herbs.
- Place them in the slow cooker and add water.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Add in rinsed canned beans and Persian dried limes.
- Cook on high for about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with rice.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 93mg | Potassium: 676mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 4798IU | Vitamin C: 61mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 5mg