Persian Eggplant Soup - Ash-e Bademjan
Persian eggplant soup is a delicious Persian recipe that's very simple to make. This easy Persian soup is vegetarian and gluten free.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 Chinese Eggplants Peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large White Onion Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 can Chickpeas Drained
- 3/4 cup Green Lentils
- 4-6 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Kashk - Yogurt Whey
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil Divided
- 1 Onion Thinly Sliced
- 2 tbsp Dried Mint
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 cup Kashk- Yogurt Whey
Sprinkle salt over the eggplant chunks and place them in a colander. Place the colander on a large bowl and let the eggplants sit for 20 minutes until they start releasing water. Place the eggplants on a kitchen towel and dry them with another kitchen towel. Set aside.
Place a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Pour vegetable or olive oil into the pot and heat.
Saute onion until golden. Add in garlic and saute for a minute.
Add in the eggplants and turmeric. Saute for 5 minutes.
Add in the lentils and stir.
Add in water and turn the heat to high. Bring the Soup to boil.
Turn the heat to medium low. Add in chickpeas and cook until the eggplants and lentils are fully cooked.
Stir in Kashk (Yogurt Whey). Cook for 10 more minutes.
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, saute onion on medium low until soft and golden brown. Transfer them to a plate. Set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Once hot, add in dried mint and turmeric. Stir and cook for two minutes. Turn the heat off.
Pour the eggplant soup into bowls. Top with more Kashk (Yogurt Whey), sauteed dried mint and caramelized onion.
- You can add a bag (1 lb) of chopped spinach to this recipe. It's optional, but makes it more delicious.
- If using dry chickpeas, soak them in water over night and add them with the lentils. Cooking time may increase.
- You can find Kashk (Yogurt Whey) and dried mint in Persian, Turkish or Middle Eastern Shops.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 640mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 3mg