Persian Dill Rice with Peas
Dill rice with peas is a Persian dish that is made in one pot with only 5 ingredients. This simple, aromatic side dish is perfect for any occasion.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Dried Dill See Notes #1
- 1 can (15 oz.) Peas Drained
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 ½ cups Water
Rinse Basmati rice and place it in a large pot.
Add dried dill and peas to the pot.
Add in salt, olive oil and water. Place the pot over medium heat and bring it to boil.
Once the water is almost evaporated and the rice is almost cooked, wrap the lid in a kitchen towel and place it on the pot.
Lower the heat and cook the rice for 10 more minutes. Check the rice and see if it's cooked completely. If it's still firm, add ¼ cup more water and cover with the lid. Cook for another 10 minutes util it's fluffy and fully cooked.
Serve warm with saffron chicken or lamb.
- You can use 2 cups chopped fresh dill instead of dried dill. The process of cooking is exactly the same.
- This is a one pot dish and Basmati rice tends to double in size once cooked, so make sure you're cooking this dish in a large pot.
- You can add the peas at the end, ten minutes before the dish is ready.
- If using frozen peas, add them in the beginning with the rest of the ingredients.
- You can use fresh dill instead of dried dill. Both will make delicious dill rice.
- Wrapping the lid in a kitchen towel is essential for this recipe as well as other Persian rice recipe as the kitchen towel would absorb extra moisture and steam which will result in fluffy rice.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 1375mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2307IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 725mg | Iron: 20mg