Shish Tawook Recipe
Shish Tawook is a Lebanese chicken dish that's simple yet so delicious. Tender chicken marinated in yogurt, lemon and garlic makes one delicious meal for the family.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breast Bone and skin off
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cut the chicken breast into 1 ½ inch pieces and place them in a large bowl.
In another bowl, mix yogurt, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, tomato paste, paprika, sumac and thyme.
Pour the yogurt mixture over chicken pieces and mix well. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours up to eight hours.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmery, place the chicken pieces in the pan but don't over crowd the pan.
Sear the chicken pieces on one side for 3-4 minutes, then stir and sear the other side until the chicken is fully cooked.
Serve shish tawook with pita and salad.
- You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs in this shish tawook recipe.
- You can marinade the chicken for up to twelve hours in the fridge.
- Lemon and garlic are the main flavors of this dish, make sure to use fresh lemons and not bottled lemon juice.
- For the marinade, I used full fat yogurt. It's possible to use other kinds of yogurt such as low fat or Greek yogurt. But whole milk yogurt has the best results.
- Don't stir the chicken too much while cooking so you can get a nice sear on all sides.
- Shish tawook is originally grilled. To grill the chicken, thread the marinated pieces onto skewers and grill on medium for about 12-15 minutes, flipping occasionally until fully cooked.
- The chicken might start releasing juice while cooking in the pan, stir the chicken a little bit to help it get more flavor.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To heat, place them in a pan and heat over medium low heat.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 665mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 286IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg