Mirza Ghasemi Persian Smoked Eggplants and Tomatoes
Mirza Ghasemi is a Persian eggplant and tomato dish that's very flavorful. This vegetarian eggplant recipe is super easy to make and everyone will ask for seconds!
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 globe eggplants
- 3 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 7 cloves garlic minced
- 4 roma tomatoes diced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
Pierce the eggplants using a fork. Char them by placing them on a grill or directly on the flame of gas stove top. Rotate them regularly to make sure they're charred on all sides.
The eggplant skin must get completely charred and the flesh should be softened.
Let the eggplants cool for some minutes then carefully peel off the charred skin.
Mash or chop the eggplants finely and set them aside.
In a large pan, heat the olive oil and saute the minced garlic until almost golden.
Add in diced tomatoes and cook until the excess water starts evaporating.
Add in mashed eggplants and stir well. Raise the heat to medium high and cook until the excess water is almost completely evaporated.
Add in turmeric, black pepper and salt. Combine well with the other ingredients.
Add in the eggs and mix well until the eggs are cooked.
Serve warm with bread or rice and fresh herbs.
- You can use fresh or canned tomatoes to make mirza ghasemi.
- Find smoked eggplants in jars at Turkish and Mediterranean shops.
- Mirza ghasemi can be served with fresh middle eastern style bread such as lavash or pita as an appetizer or with rice as a main dish.
- The eggs can be scrambled or fried separately and served with eggplants and tomatoes.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days.
- The main flavors of this dish come from charred eggplant and garlic, so don't go light on garlic and make sure you're using fresh garlic and not garlic powder.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 639mg | Potassium: 1000mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 774IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg