Persian Savory Saffron Cake - Tahchin
Persian Savory Saffron Cake - Tahchin is a very delicious traditional Persian rice dish full of saffron and other great flavors. Usually served with chicken, this tahchin recipe is surprisingly easy to make!
Servings: 12 servings
Saffron Rice Cake
- 6 cup Water
- 2 cups Basmati rice washed
- 2 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Eggs
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon Bloomed Saffron
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- ¾ Cup Dried Barberries
- ½ tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rose Water
- 2 tablespoon Slivered Almonds
- 2 tbsp Slivered Pistachios
Pour water in a large pot, bring to boil.
Add rice to the boiling water, cook for 10 minutes until the rice is soft on the outside but firm on the inside.
Drain the rice, set aside in a bowl.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat an oven safe dish (8X8) with nonstick spray.
Place yogurt, oil and eggs and salt in a large bowl whisk until combined.
Add in par cooked rice. mix well. Add in bloomed saffron. Mix well.
Pour into the oven safe dish, cover with aluminum foil and poke holes into the aluminum foil using a fork.
Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. The dish is ready once it's fully cooked and stuck together.
Meanwhile, prepare the barberries.
Heat a small pan over medium low heat. Melt the butter in the pan.
Add in barberries, stir until coated with butter.
Add in sugar and rose water. Stir well.
Barberries are ready once they're shiny.
Once the Tahchin in ready, flip it into a plate and top it with barberries, slivered almond and slivered pistachios.
Serve plain or with chicken in tomato rice.
- Bastmati rice has different variations. Make sure the consistency of your Tahchin batter looks like what you see in the video.
- Absolutely bloom your saffron. You can find the full guide How To Bloom Saffron. Saffron threads don't have full aroma, color and flavor if they're not bloomed.
- This dish is usually served with chicken in tomato sauce. You can use the chicken recipe in Zereshk Polo Morgh to make the chicken.
- You can make Tahchin in a muffin tin to have individual portions of this savory rice cake. Make sure to coat the tin with cooking spray.
- You can store Tahchin in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days.
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 724mg | Potassium: 86mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 118IU | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg