Kuku Sabzi (Persian Herb Frittata)
Kuku Sabzi is a Persian Herb Frittata that can be baked in the oven and is topped with barberries and walnuts. It's a great recipe to use up all the herbs!
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley Chopped
- ½ cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- ½ cup Chives Chopped (See Note #1)
- 1 cup Fresh Dill Chopped (See Note #2)
- 4-5 Eggs See Note #3
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Walnuts Chopped
- ½ cup Barberries See Note #4
- 1 teaspoon Salt
Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a cast iron skillet (10 inch) with non stick spray or olive oil. Place the pan in the oven to heat.
In a large bowl mix parsley, cilantro, chives (or leek) and dill until all the herbs are combined.
Add in the eggs, half of the walnuts and barberries, and flour. Mix until everything is well combined.
Take the cast iron skillet out of the oven and place it on the counter. Pour the batter into the pan and top it with the remaining barberries and walnuts.
Cover with aluminum foil and pierce 4 holes on the foil. Bake in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes until the frittata is fully cooked. Uncover and cook for another five minutes. (See the notes for stove top approach)
Serve warm with bread.
- You can use leek instead of chives. Only use the green parts and chop completely.
- I didn't have fresh dill therefore used ⅓ cup dried dill which I soaked in cold water for 15 minutes and then squeezed out the excess water.
- The amount of eggs used in this recipe depends on the size of the eggs. You need enough eggs so that all the herbs are smothered with egg and is sticking together. Don't use too much egg as the frittata should stay green and not yellow.
- If barberries are not available, use chopped unsweetened dried cranberries.
- You can also make Kuku Sabzi on the stove in a pan. Heat a nonstick pan over medium eat and the pour three to four tablespoons olive oil in the pan. Pour the batter into the pan. Wrap the lid in a kitchen towel and place it on the pan. Cook for 15 minutes and then uncover, flip and place it over medium heat to finish cooking. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes uncovered until it's completely cooked.
Serving: 6People | Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 109mg | Sodium: 438mg | Potassium: 186mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1419IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg