This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
Brighten up your morning with this creamy oatmeal recipe. Adding cardamon and honey to a breakfast staple results in a bold, yet comforting way to start the day.
Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day. I can go for either sweet or savory depending on my mood. Whether my breakfast is cilbir (Turkish style eggs) or this sweet and aromatic middle eastern style oatmeal, I always look for recipes that infuse new flavors into classic dishes!
Creamy oatmeal recipe with so much flavor
I didn’t grow up having oatmeal the sweet way. Where I come from, oatmeal is usually served savory (more on that later). When I first tried sweet oatmeal, I loved it and then started experimenting with different flavors.
Over the years, I’ve started to circle back to my roots and add some Middle Eastern flavors to my favorite American dishes. This recipe is no different. My family tells me that this is their new favorite way to enjoy oatmeal in the morning!
This oatmeal is simple and easy to make. Plus, it’s dairy free since we’re using almond milk in the recipe. It’s bright, light, and makes you feel so good! Tasty ingredients like almond milk, cashew butter, honey, coconut and raisins make this a truly enjoyable recipe.
- Oatmeal: I used old fashioned oatmeal to make this recipe since it becomes super creamy when cooked.
- O Organics® Non Dairy Almond Beverage: This one is my favorites, but you can use vanilla or other nut beverages. O Organics® offers high-quality, non-GMO and 100% USDA-certified organic plant-based products.
- Spices: I used cardamom and cinnamon to add a bit of warmth to the oatmeal.
- Open Nature® Cashew Butter: I never skip this one, it’s an essential part of my breakfast. I love this because Open Nature® offers plant-based products that are high-quality, minimally-process and are free from 110 food additives.
- Nuts: Almonds, pistachios and walnuts add a bit of crunch to the oatmeal and make it delicious.
- Sweetener: Honey goes perfectly well with this recipe. However, you can also use maple syrup.
- Fruit and dried fruit: Bananas, mangoes, raisins and shredded coconut are my favorite additions.
To make this into the perfect breakfast, I served my oatmeal bowl with a homemade oatmilk latte which I made using Open Nature® Oatmilk. It’s so easy, and a perfect finish to such a delectable breakfast. I shopped at Safeway in my local area, but you can also find O Organics® and Open Nature® plant-based products at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, and Tom Thumb. It’s accessible, and they always have everything I need! Safeway also offers Grocery Delivery and Drive Up & Go™ for convenient ways to shop. I’ve used it several times and it’s a real time saver!
How to make creamy oatmeal
- Place the oatmeal with almond beverage, cinnamon, cardamom in a sauce pan. Bring to simmer and cook on medium low for about 20 minutes until the oatmeal is creamy and soft. Add more almond beverage if needed.
- Stir in the cashew butter and mix well.
- Transfer the oatmeal into two serving bowls. Drizzle with some honey.
- Cut the bananas and mangoes and arrange them on the oatmeal. Add walnuts, pistachios and almonds. Finish with dried coconut and raisins.
To make an oatmilk latte, you need strong coffee (or espresso), oatmilk and maple syrup which is optional. It’s so easy to whip this up at home!
- Place the oatmilk in a blender and blend on high for 3 minutes until hot and very frothy. You can also use a milk frother as well.
- Stir in the maple syrup (if using) into the coffee and pour the frothy oatmilk over the coffee to fill the cup.
Frequently asked questions
Yes! You simply need to adjust the cooking time and the amount of liquid used. Please make sure to read the package instructions for that.
You can use any nuts you have on hand. That includes cashews, pecans and any other nuts you like.
Yes. Make the oatmeal the night before but don’t top it with nuts and fruit. In the morning, heat the oatmeal on stove top or microwave with some almond beverage and then top with honey, nuts and fruit.
If stored in an airtight container, cooked oatmeal keeps for up to 4 days in the fridge. However, I suggest you cut the fruit fresh for topping.
Creamy Oatmeal Recipe Middle Eastern Style
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 3 cups O Organics Almond beverage
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Open Nature Cashew Butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup mixed nuts pistachios, walnuts and almonds
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 mango sliced
- 1 banana sliced
- Place the oatmeal with cardamom, cinnamon and almond beverage in a saucepan. Bring to a low simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the oatmeal is creamy and cooked.
- Stir in the cashew butter.
- Divide the oatmeal between two bowls and drizzle with honey.
- Top with pistachios, walnuts and almonds. Add raisins and shredded coconut.
- Add mango and banana slices to the oatmeal and serve warm.
- Add more almond beverage to the oatmeal if you would like it creamier.
- You can make the oatmeal ahead of time and heat it in the morning with extra almond beverage. Top with nuts and fruit right before serving.
- You can make this recipe with quick oats or steel cut oats if you like. Make sure to adjust the amount of liquid and cooking time according to package instructions.