This green lentil soup with a Mediterranean twist is the perfect weeknight dinner. Packed with vegetables and spices, this healthy lentil soup is a favorite.
There is no shortage of hearty soup recipes on this blog. Creamy and hearty soups such as curry lentil soup and chicken lentil soup are perfect for any day of the week and lighter soups like this Turkish yogurt soup, can be served as a nice appetizer. And when I’m craving comfort and heartiness in a healthy bowl of soup, this green lentil soup is my go-to.
Why this recipe works
A big bowl of this simple lentil soup is pure comfort to me. The combination of potatoes, carrots and lentils finished with a big pile of baby spinach is just the perfect thing for an evening and believe me everyone will come back for a second round of this soup.
Lentils in general are a great item to add to your meals. Regardless of their shape and color, lentils are high in protein and are a good source of iron. There are many ways to use them and adding them to a soup is the easiest one. You can check out this article to read more about the benefits of lentils.
What I love the most about this healthy lentil soup is that it comes together pretty easily. There is nothing fancy about it and even though it calls for basic ingredients it ends up bursting with flavor.
What do I need to make Mediterranean lentil soup?
This lentil soup is flavored with turmeric, paprika and cumin and is made with spinach which gives a Mediterranean flair to it. You probably have all the ingredients for this green lentil soup at home now:
- Onion: You can use white or yellow onion.
- Garlic: It’s always best to mince the garlic fresh.
- Carrots: For more flavor and color.
- Red bell pepper: They add a nice touch of sweetness to the soup.
- Green Lentils: These are the most common type of lentils in the US. You can also use brown lentils.
- Potatoes: Yukon gold or russet potatoes work best in this recipe. Make sure to wash and peel them.
- Spices: You’ll need turmeric, paprika, cumin and salt.
- Tomato paste: Adds a nice concentrated flavor and color to the soup.
- Spinach: Adding fresh baby spinach to the soup add a great amount of nutrients and flavor.
I bet you have many of these ingredients at home now. The best thing about this soup is that you can leave out or add other ingredients that you like. These simple and basic ingredients make the best lentil soup ever that you’ll keep making over and over again!
This is a vegan lentil soup, meaning there is no meat or dairy used in it yet it’s so delicious and creamy. The secret? Great combination of spices and using fresh vegetables. Lentils start breaking down while simmering which gives the soup a very creamy texture.
How do you make green lentil soup?
Here is how you make a simple lentil soup:
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil and saute onion and garlic. Then add carrots, red bell pepper, potatoes and lentils.
- Stir well and then add in turmeric, cumin, paprika and tomato paste. Pour in vegetable stock or water and bring the soup to boil.
- Simmer for for about 40 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils are cooked. Add in the spinach and cook until they’re wilted.
This is an absolutely easy lentil soup recipe that you can make in no time. It’s so delicious and creamy, contains everything that’s good for you and oh, it’s naturally gluten-free and vegan.
FAQs about this lentil soup recipe
Can I freeze lentil soup?
Soups in general freeze really well. As for this recipe, let it cool completely and then pour the soup into a freezer safe container and freeze for up to three month. When ready to use, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in a pot over medium heat.
How to make this soup in the slow cooker?
Simply put all the ingredients except spinach in the crockpot and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 until the lentils are completely cooked. Stir in the spinach and cook on high for another 30 minutes.
Can I make this soup in the instant pot?
You can make almost anything in the instant pot. Everything you need to know about making soup in an instant pot is in this instant pot lentil soup recipe. Here are the instructions on how to make this soup in the instant pot:
- Press the saute function on the instant pot and heat the olive oil in it.
- Saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add in carrots, bell pepper, potatoes and lentils and cook for a few minutes.
- Season with tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, paprika and salt. Pour in the water or vegetable stock.
- Lock the lid and press Cancel. Then press pressure cook (or manual) and set the timer for 15 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cooking time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release by turning the valve to venting.
- Open the lid and stir in the spinach until it’s wilted.
Notes and tips to make this recipe
- Bell peppers used in this green lentil soup recipe should be sweet. You can use red, yellow or orange bell pepper.
- To add a bit of brightness to the soup, add some lemon juice right before serving.
- Don’t blend this lentil soup as it will have a not so appetizing color because of cooked spinach.
- If you don’t like garlic, reduce the amount or leave it out completely.
- Do you like your soup spicy? Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper with other spices.
- Got leftovers? Store the leftover soup in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To reheat, use a microwave or a saucepan.
Looking for more lentil recipes?
Easy Mediterranean Green Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 yellow potatoes cubed
- 2 cups green lentils
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until golden brown.
- Add in minced garlic, carrots and bell pepper. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add in potatoes and lentils. Stir and cook for two minutes.
- Add in tomato paste, turmeric, paprika and cumin.
- Pour vegetable stock into the pot and stir. Bring the soup to boil and cover. Let it simmer for about thirty to forty minutes until lentils are completely cooked.
- Add in salt and baby spinach and cook until they're wilted.
- Pour the soup into bowl and top with parsley.
- Top with chopped parsley. Serve with lemon juice and toasted bread.