Curry lentil soup is an easy soup recipe that is very comforting. Learn how to make lentil soup with coconut milk with step-by-step photos.
I love soup for any season especially the cold season. Our easy Mediterranean green lentil soup is packed with nutrients and if you’re looking for a light soup with delicious spices, try turmeric red lentil soup or Chicken Lentil Soup which is super easy.
A curry red lentil soup with so much flavor
This curry lentil soup is one of our favorite dishes to makes. It’s an easy soup that’s flavored with coconut milk. This smooth lentil soup doesn’t take long to make. I love a good and easy soup especially when it’s packed with flavors.
This curried lentil soup is made with red lentils which are very tender and easy to work with. Red lentils are thought to be originated in near East and Mediterranean area but now they are common all around the world and people use them in different cuisines. Some of the recipes made with red lentils are Turkish red lentil soup (mercimek corbasi) and our favorite Turkish vegan meatballs.
Are lentils good for you?
Lentils are very versatile and can be used in different ways. They are also a good source of protein and are full of fiber. Lentils are a great source of iron and folic acid. They are also very good for your bones. You can read more about lentils on the Spruce Eats.
Ingredients for curry lentil soup recipe
To make a delicious vegan lentil soup you need the following ingredients:
- Curry powder
- Red lentils
- Crushed tomatoes
- Coconut milk
This soup is vegan and naturally gluten free. It’s flavored with ginger, garlic and curry powder and would be great as an appetizer or a light lunch or dinner. What I love the most about this red lentil curry soup is that it’s so simple and quick to make. The combination of flavors is perfect for a chilly evening to make you all warm and cozy. To us, this is comfort food.
How to make red lentil curry soup
Like any other lentil soup recipe, this curried lentil soup is a one pot recipe that is very simple to make and takes only 30 minutes from start to finish:
- Start with sauteing onion, garlic and ginger. Once the onion is translucent, add in the spice and red lentils.
- Cook for about two minutes and add in crushed tomatoes and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom.
- Add in coconut milk and stir well. Cook for another ten minutes and serve warm with a splash of lemon juice.
How much water should I use?
Red lentils absorb a lot of liquid. Start with amount of liquid that’s mentioned in the recipe. Keep a close eye and if it looks like the soup doesn’t contain enough liquid, add more water or vegetable stock, 1/2 cup at a time.
How long should I cook the lentils for?
Red lentils cook very fast. You only need to cook them for about 20 minutes in this curry lentil soup recipe. You will know red lentils are cooked completely when they’re tender and can be blended easily.
How long does curried lentil soup last
Usually there is no leftover of this soup in our home because we finish it in one sitting. However, you can refrigerate the leftover curry lentil soup in an airtight container for up to three days. Reheat the soup in microwave or in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
Can I freeze curry lentil soup?
You sure can. Lentil soups are very freezer friendly. Cool the lentil soup completely and then freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. To serve, thaw in the fridge overnight or place it in a pot with 1/2 – 1 cup water and turn the heat to medium. Stir occasionally to break the frozen soup and heat it through.
Looking for more soup recipes?
Notes and tips to make curry lentil soup
- I usually use water to make curry lentil soup but you can also use vegetable broth.
- To make this red lentil soup non-vegan, you can use chicken broth as well.
- Sweet potatoes compliment this curry lentil soup very well. Cut one sweet potato into 1/2 inch cubes and add it to the soup with the red lentils.
- I use full fat coconut milk for this curried lentil soup. It makes the soup very creamy and smooth.
- This vegan curry lentil soup doesn’t require blending since red lentils fall apart while cooking. However, you can always blend this soup if you like your soup to be ultra creamy.
Curry Lentil Soup
Curry lentil soup is an easy soup recipe that you can make with just a few ingredients. This lentil soup with coconut milk is very comforting.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 15 oz.
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-6 cups water see notes
- 7 oz coconut milk see notes
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Saute onion, garlic and ginger until onion is translucent.
Add in curry powder and cook for about two minutes.
Add in red lentils, stir and cook for about two minutes.
Pour the can of crushed tomatoes into the red lentils with water and salt. Stir well so all the ingredients are combined.
Bring to simmer and cook for twenty minutes until the lentils are tender.
Add in coconut milk and stir. Lower the heat and cook for another ten minutes.
Serve warm with lemon juice.
- You can use vegetable broth or chicken broth instead of water. Keep an eye on the soup since lentils absorb water pretty quickly and you might need to add a cup more.
- Use full fat coconut milk to give a nice creamy texture to the dish.