This is the only red lentil soup recipe you will ever need! Creamy lentil soup with turmeric and ginger is full of flavors and very comforting. It’s a quick and easy soup that everyone loves!
My readers probably know by now that I love soup any time of the year. Give me a bowl of Mediterranean green lentil soup, instant pot lentil soup or sausage gnocchi soup and I’m happy! This red lentil soup recipe is also a staple at our home and it’s full of aromatic and tasty spices!
A delicious spicy red lentil soup for any day!
Nothing beats a delicious creamy lentil soup when you’re craving comfort food. It’s easy and can be ready in only 30 minutes.
When the weather starts getting cold, we love to come home to a bowl of warm and light soup, made with our favorite spices – along with some homemade bread. These days our favorites are Curry Lentil Soup and this delicious Chicken Lentil Soup.
This red lentil soup recipe is also one that I always have on hand, it’s a simple soup that is filled with warm flavors, which makes it perfect for cozy evenings and family dinners.
What’s special about this spicy red lentil soup?
This red lentil soup is all about spices and flavors. In this recipe, I have used garlic, fresh ginger, turmeric and paprika which are all aromatic and very flavorful. Red lentils don’t have much flavor on their own, however they have an amazing creamy texture once their cooked that compliments the warm flavors very well. The creaminess of this red lentil soup and the warmth of spices make it a cozy and comforting dish.
Speaking of turmeric, it is one of the spices I simply cannot live without. When I first moved to the US, I noticed that turmeric wasn’t as commonly used as in Iran, where you can find turmeric in every single household. I think that has something to do with the region and the similarities between Indian and Iranian cuisine. That’s why I’m so excited about sharing this turmeric red lentil soup recipe with you.
Ingredients for this red lentil soup recipe
To make this delicious red lentil soup, you need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Red lentils
What is the difference between red lentils and green lentils?
Red lentils turn yellow when they’re cooked and they get very very soft whereas green lentils hold their shape and stay green/light brown once they’re cooked.
Where can I find red lentils?
You can find red lentils in the legumes aisle at any supermarket. Also, you can find red lentils at Indian shops.
How do you make Homemade Red Lentil Soup?
This ginger red lentil soup is full of great flavors and has a nice, smooth texture. Start with sauteing onion, garlic and ginger over medium heat in a large pot. Then add the cumin, turmeric, and paprika and stir to combine so the spices start releasing the aromas. Next, add in the red lentils and stir well. Add in the water, bring to simmer and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes until the lentils are creamy and fully cooked.
Should I blend the turmeric red lentil soup once it’s cooked?
I didn’t blend this turmeric ginger lentil soup after cooking but you can of course blend it with an immersion blender or in a standard blender if you want an even smoother soup.
Tools and ingredients for making turmeric red lentil soup:
Other flavors for red lentils soup
- Red lentil soup with lemon: Follow the instructions for red lentil soup and right before serving, add the juice of 1 1/2 lemons to the soup and give it a nice stir.
- Vegetable red lentil soup: After sauteing onion and garlic, add in 1 cup diced carrot and 1 cup chopped celery and saute for another 5 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Instant pot red lentil soup
It’s very easy to make red lentil soup in instant pot:
- Press the saute function and saute onion, garlic and ginger until translucent.
- Add in spices and stir well to combine.
- Stir in lentils and add 4-5 cups of water to the pot.
- Lock the lid and press pressure cook and set the valve to seal and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Once the cook time ends, turn the valve to venting and do a quick release and serve.
How to store this soup
You can make a big batch of this soup and refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat, transfer the soup to a sauce pan, add 1/3 cup water and simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
Can I freeze red lentil soup?
This soup freezes very well. Store the soup in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, simply transfer the frozen soup to a sauce pan or a pot and add 1/2 to 1 cup water. Simmer over medium low until the soup is completely heated through.
Looking for more red lentil recipes?
Notes and tips for Red Lentil Soup Recipe:
- A small amount of turmeric goes a long way so you want to make sure you don’t overuse it – otherwise the dish will be overpowering.
- For a creamier texture, blend the soup in a blender on high for 3 minutes.
- If fresh ginger is not available, you can use 1 teaspoon ginger powder.
- If you like this red lentil soup to be spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the soup at the end.
- Red lentils absorb a lot of water; if the soups starts to be very thick, add in half a cup of water at a time.
- You can also make this delicious red lentil soup with vegetable broth.
Red Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Onions Diced
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tsp Ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 cup Red Lentils
- 6-7 cups Water or broth
- 2 tsp Salt
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute onion until translucent. Add in garlic and ginger and give it a nice stir.
- Add in turmeric , cumin and paprika. Saute for two minutes until the spices release their aromas.
- Add in red lentils, stir for a minute.
- Add in the water and turn the heat up so the soup starts simmering. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the lentils are fully cooked. Add in salt to taste.
- Serve warm.