Molten Lava Cake is such a delicious classic! It’s moist and so chocolaty and when you cut into it, luscious chocolate oozes out! This is the perfect recipe for an easy yet fancy dessert.
Chocolate is the key to happiness. Bet most of you agree with me, am I right?
Molten lava cake, a treat for the chocolate lover!
I’ve always been a chocolate person. My favorite snack is a bite of dark chocolate and I can never say no to a creamy yet light chocolate mousse. There are so many chocolate recipes on the blog such as chocolate magic cake (one of my favorites!), chewy double chocolate cookies and quick and easy brownie recipe, which is perfect for those days when you have a chocolate craving out of the blue.
But above all is this molten chocolate cake that owns its own special place in my heart. This delicious chocolate delicacy is also called chocolate lava cake or molten lava cake and it’s one of the most popular chocolate desserts out there. You’re likely to see it on the menu of a fancy restaurant. But, these little bites of heaven are so easy to make that when you try the recipe once, you won’t be able to stop making it! I promise you, this is the dessert you’d want to make for Valentine’s day!
I mean, look at this. Look at that ooey gooey chocolate oozing out calling your name. Who can say no?
How to make molten chocolate lava cake
Start with coating the ramekins with non stick spray. Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl until smooth. Whisk in the sugar and and the eggs until 100% incorporated. Finish with flour and cocoa powder and divide the batter between the two ramekins. Bake in the oven for exactly thirteen minutes and then let them cool for two minutes. Loosen the cakes from the edges with a butter knife, invert into a plate and serve immediately.
This molten chocolate cake recipe is so easy to make even a baking rookie can whip it up in no time. It was one of the very first desserts I made when I started baking years and years ago. The soft exterior and the ooey gooey lava like center makes this dessert look as if you’ve spent so much time perfecting it in the kitchen but the truth is, it has probably taken less than thirty minutes to put it together.
Can I make molten lava cake ahead of time?
Yes! You can make the batter before hand, divide it between ramekins and and when you start preheating the oven, take them out of the fridge and place them on the counter to come to room temperature and then bake them in the oven. You can also divide the batter between ramekins right before baking them.
Remember when I told you how we are going to celebrate V-day? Molten chocolate lava cake is going to be our dessert. It’s easy, classic and unbelievably delicious. Most importantly, it’s my favorite! If I could have 4 of them myself, I would. But oh well, health reasons. Why do calories exist, really?
Is it possible to make molten chocolate lava cake for a crowd?
Totally! This is a recipe for molten chocolate cake for two but you can easily multiple it to make it for more people. You can either use several ramekins or a muffin tin. If using ramekins, bake the lava cakes for thirteen minutes but if you’re going to use a muffin tin, reduce the baking time to nine minutes.
Molten lava cake may appear to be a difficult, fancy dessert, but if you follow the steps carefully this will become your “go to” cake recipe as it’s ready in 13 minutes and we all know that no chocolate craving will vanish after 13 minutes!
And you know what else is awesome about this molten chocolate lava cake? You can easily reheat it in the microwave and still have the gooey runny chocolate center! Just reheat the cake for twenty to forty seconds and you’ll have a delicious chocolate treat!
When it’s possible to make such fantastic key of happiness at home, why bother getting a frozen one? I mean, do you like frozen happiness? No one likes frozen happiness. Unless it’s frozen yogurt, but then that’s joy, which is different from happiness. Don’t judge me: I’m in a chocolate coma, because I had this amazing chocolate lava cake.
What is the difference between a souffle and a molten lava cake?
Souffle is usually made by separating whites and yolks of eggs which will result in an airy and very light texture whereas molten lava cake is made with whole eggs and is more dense. Also, chocolate lava cake has a melting center that souffle doesn’t have.
Notes and tips to make molten chocolate cake
- Instead of using a non stick spray, you can coat the ramekins with butter and dust cocoa powder at the bottom and the walls of the ramekin.
- You can serve chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, strawberries or raspberries.
- To save time, make the batter ahead of time and bake it in the ramekins right before serving. Make sure the batter is at room temperature.
- Thirteen minutes is the perfect timing to make sure the lava cake is firm on the outside and on the inside!
Tools used in Molten Chocolate Lava Cake recipe:
More Chocolate Deliciousness for you:
- Brownie Peppermint Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups
- Double Chocolate Walnut Skillet Brownie
- Ooey Gooey S’mores Brownies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Dump Cake
- Surprise Snickers Stuffed Brownies
- Double Chocolate Mug Cake
This post contains affiliate links.
Molten Chocolate Cake
- 2 oz semi sweet chocolate I used baking chocolate
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Coat 2 ramekins with non-stick spray.
- Melt chocolate and butter in microwave until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and stir.
- Add egg and egg yolk and mix completely.
- Add flour and cocoa powder and stir until incorporated.
- Divide between the ramekins and bake for 13 minutes until firm on the edges and jiggly in the center.
- Let cool for 2 minutes, loosen the cake from the edges and invert it onto a serving plate.
- Top with some powdered sugar.