Ready in 30 minutes, these chewy double chocolate cookies will cure all your chocolate cravings in one bite. These double chocolate cookies are crispy on the edges and very chewy on the inside with big chocolate chunks in every bite!
Are you a cookie lover? Then you probably need to check out our chocolate chip cookie cups, chocolate chip oatmeal cookies and thumbprint cookies. And if you like chocolate, this recipe is for you. Double chocolate cookies made with chocolate chunks is every chocolate lover's dream!
Why this recipe works
You don't really need a reason to bake some tasty chocolate chunk cookies, but here are a few things I love about these cookies:
- Texture: These cookies are crispy on the edges and chewy on the inside.
- So chocolaty: There are chocolate chips and chocolate chunks in each and every bite!
- Quick: Got the chocolate cravings? These cookies are ready in only 30 minutes since the dough doesn't need to chill in the fridge!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chocolate chips: I usually opt for bittersweet chocolate chips so the cookies don't turn out overly sweet.
- Butter: It's best to use unsalted butter for this recipe so you can control the amount of salt. Margarine or plant based butters could be used for this recipe, however, they might slightly change the texture of the cookies. Nut butters won't work for this cookie recipe.
- Eggs: Keep the eggs at room temperature when baking cookies.
- Sugar: We are going to use a combination of brown and granulated sugar.
- Flour: Regular all purpose flour works best for this recipe. For gluten-free cookies, use 1:1 gluten-free flour.
- Cocoa powder: Make sure you're using quality unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Chocolate chunks: It's best to cut the chocolate into chunks yourself using a sturdy knife.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a bowl over simmering water or in the microwave in 15 second intervals and stir constantly. Once melted, let it cool for five minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs and granulated sugar, add the melted chocolate and butter to the mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix well until well combined.
- Scoop out the chocolate cookie dough onto prepare baking sheets and top with chocolate chunks.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
If you're looking for ways to jazz up these cookies, here are a few suggestions:
- Nuts: Add ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the dough.
- White chocolate chips: Instead of chocolate chunks, add white chocolate chips.
- Pretzel: Place a couple of pretzels on top of each cookie dough before baking.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely. Leave out the chocolate chunks and right before scooping out the cookie dough, add ½ cup chocolate chips to the cookie dough and stir using a spatula.
Make sure the cookies are completely cooled. Place them in a an airtight container and store at room temperature in a cool and dry place for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze these cookie by placing them in a freezer bag in one single layer and freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the double chocolate cookies on a baking sheet and thaw at room temperature or in the oven at 200 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Yes, make the cookie dough and cover the bowl using a plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for one hour up to 1 week. To bake the cookies, take the dough out of the fridge, preheat the oven and proceed with the baking instructions.
The cookie dough was probably too soft. Place the bowl of dough in the fridge for 1 hour and then proceed with the recipe.
More cookie recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- chocolate chunks to top the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth. You can also melt the chocolate chips and butter in microwave, stir every 15 seconds.
- Mix the eggs and sugars in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer. Add in melted butter and chocolate chips, mix until well incorporated.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix using a spatula.
- Scoop the cookie dough on the baking sheet, leaving 2 inch space between them. Top the cookie scoops with chocolate chunks.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Cool completely in the baking sheet before serving.
- Make ahead: You can make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate it for 1 hour up to 1 week. When ready to bake, take the dough out of the fridge, preheat the oven and proceed with the recipe as instructed.
- Freeze the cookies: Place the cookies in one single layer in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw them at room temperature or in the oven at 200 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- You can use chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks.
- Add ½ cup chopped walnuts, pecans or white chocolate chips for more flavor. You can also top the cookie doughs with pretzels before baking.