Adasi is a classic Persian lentil soup that's vegetarian and gluten free. Learn how to make this easy Persian recipe with this step by step tutorial and video.
There are many quick and easy Persian recipes that you can make at home in no time. Some of our favorite easy Persian recipes are Persian spinach and eggs, kashke bademjan (eggplant dip), fava beans, and one pot tomato rice. This easy lentil soup recipe is another simple Persian recipe that you can make in less than 40 minutes with only a few ingredients.
Table Of Contents:
About this recipe
Adasi is a Persian lentil soup made mainly with lentils and onions cooked in a flavorful broth or just simply water. Iranians have adasi for any meal of the day including breakfast. This dish is packed with nutritious ingredients and is very simple to make. People make adasi in different way depending on the region they're from.
This recipe is:
- Super easy and quick to make
- Simple and uses just a few ingredients
- Very good for you because lentil is a great source of protein
- Perfect for meal prep as it keeps well in the fridge
- Naturally vegetarian and gluten free
This is one of my favorite lentil recipes ever. I love making this dish in fall and winter and enjoy a large, soothing bowl of it with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice. I've talked a lot about the benefits of lentil before (check out our Turkish red lentil soup recipe), and it's known that lentils are a great option for vegetarian meals. This gluten free and vegetarian lentil soup is packed with nutritious ingredients and you can make a big batch of it to enjoy during the week.
As simple as the ingredients and the recipe might seem, this classic Persian soup is full of flavor and is a great option for quick weeknight dinners or a light lunch. It's filling and a bowl of it goes a long way.
- Onion and garlic: This is the base of many delicious Iranian dishes.
- Potatoes: You can use russet or yukon gold potatoes.
- Green lentils: These are the same lentils we use to make Mediterranean lentil soup or chicken lentil soup.
- Spices: This classic Persian soup recipe calls for simple spices. You only need salt, pepper and turmeric.
- Start by heating the olive oil in a pot and saute onion and garlic until golden.
- Add in potatoes and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils and spices. Stir well to make sure the spices are fully mixed with the lentils and the potatoes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring it to simmer.
- Cook over medium heat until the lentils are fully cooked.
This is the base recipe for Adasi. However, each family has its own recipe and might add or leave out a few ingredients. Some other ingredients that you can add to this Persian lentil soup are:
- Carrots: Dice 2 carrots and add them with the potatoes to the soup. This will give a subtle sweet note to the soup.
- Tomato paste: Adding one tablespoon tomato paste to this Persian lentil soup will give it a light orange color and more flavor.
- Fried onion: Some like to top the soup with some fried onion right before serving.
This Persian lentil stew is a complete meal on its own thanks to the lentils and the potatoes. However, I love adding a splash of olive oil with a squeeze of lemon right before serving. A piece of freshly baked barbari on the side would turn this into a very satisfying meal.
Frequently asked questions
One of the things I love about this simple lentil soup is that it keeps very well in the fridge. Transfer the leftovers into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. To reheat, you can use the microwave or reheat in a sauce pan with ¼ cup water over medium heat.
Yes. You can freeze adasi for up to 3 months in the freezer. To serve, defrost in the fridge overnight and heat as desired.
Yes, you can use chicken stock or vegetable stock instead of water to make this recipe.
More soup recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Adasi Persian Lentil Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 russet potatoes washed, peeled and diced
- 2 cups green lentils
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until golden brown.
- Add in the potatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the green lentils, turmeric, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and stir. Bring it to simmer, cover and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes until the lentils are fully cooked.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with a light drizzle of olive oil and some lemon juice.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- This soup is perfect for meal prep so you can make a large batch and enjoy it during the week.
- Adasi is vegetarian and gluten free. If you don't want it to be vegetarian, then you can use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock.