Italian baked eggs are great for the weekends. This breakfast egg recipe is delicious and is cooked in a truly amazing tomato sauce.
You know I love a good breakfast, and these Italian baked eggs are among my favorites. These Italian eggs make a good spread with Persian spinach and eggs, vegetable strata and even quick breakfast pizza.
Thank you La San Marzano for Sponsoring this post.
What are Italian baked eggs?
Fresh eggs baked on a bed of delicious tomato sauce are a common breakfast in the Mediterranean region. Their bright color makes them a showstopper, not to mention the aroma of delicious marinara that will fill your kitchen once these eggs are baked. Italian eggs are simple and easy yet full of flavor which makes them a perfect choice for brunch.
The most important ingredient in Italian eggs is the sauce
To make Italian baked eggs I always use La San Marzano Marinara sauce. The authentic flavor of San Marzano tomatoes make this marinara sauce one of a kind. Every sauce by La San Marzano is made with San Marzano tomatoes from the foothills of Mt. Vesuvius in Italy’s San Marzano region. The sweet and tangy flavor of San Marzano tomatoes combined with Parmigiano aged 36 months make this tomato sauce absolutely unique and flavorful.
La San Marzano sauces are made from authentic, traditional Italian recipes with all natural ingredients sourced from Italy, especially Naples area. They come in different flavors such as basil tomato, garlic and arrabiatta which is spicy and also perfect for these Italian eggs.
What goes into Italian baked eggs?
This delicious Italian breakfast has only a few ingredients including onions, bell pepper, eggs, La San Marzano Marinara sauce, capers, eggs, parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
How to make Italian breakfast egg bake
It's very easy to make baked eggs in Italian tomato sauce. Start by sauteing chopped onion and peppers in a cast iron skillet. Once the onion and peppers are golden, add in La San Marzano Marinara Sauce and stir well.
Add in capers and stir well. Make wells in the tomato sauce and break fresh eggs into the wells. Top with shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese.
Bake in the oven at 400°F for about 12 minutes until the eggs are set but the yolks are still soft. Top with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
What to serve with Italian baked eggs
I love serving these baked eggs with toasted Italian bread. You can also serve them with French bread, sourdough or rye.
Notes and tips to make eggs in tomato sauce
- You can always add more ingredients to these Italian baked eggs such as artichokes, basil or olives.
- Once the cooking time is finished, the eggs might look uncooked in the middle but they will keep cooking once they are out of the oven since the cast iron skillet keeps the heat for several minutes.
- I love using mozzarella for this breakfast egg bake but you can leave it out and simply use parmesan cheese.
- You can make this breakfast dish ahead of time by preparing the sauce the night before. Once you're ready for breakfast, preheat the oven to 400F and pour the sauce in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Break the eggs into the sauce and top with cheese. Bake for 12 minutes and serve immediately.
Italian Baked Eggs in Marinara Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 ½ cup La San Marzano Marinara Sauce
- 1 tbsp capers
- 6 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 6 sliced Italian bread to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Heat olive oil in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Once the olive oil is hot, saute onion and bell pepper until they are gold.
- Add in La San Marzano tomato sauce and stir well.
- Add in capers and make wells in the tomato sauce.
- Break one egg into each well and top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes.
- Serve warm with toasted Italian bread.