This post is sponsored by CHI-CHI’s. As always, all opinions are mine.
Enjoy this easy and tasty Mexican-inspired breakfast bowl made with fresh ingredients. Delicious scrambled eggs and home fries make a tasty bowl topped with fresh avocado and tomatoes.
Mealtime is super important at our home and we go above and beyond to enjoy a delicious breakfast. Today, I’m going to show you how to make an easy breakfast bowl recipe with just a few ingredients.
Why is this homemade breakfast bowl recipe a winner?
Nothing beats a tasty savory bowl for breakfast. It’s filled with all things delicious and will make your morning bright and happy! We love these breakfast bowls because they are:
- Easy: And I mean it. It takes a few minutes to put a tasty breakfast bowl together and you can even make some of the items in advance. Not to mention, they are easily enhanced thanks to convenient salsas! My fave addition: CHI-CHI’s Fiesta Style Chile Tomatillo Verde Salsa.
- Flavorful: A good homemade breakfast bowl has the perfect balance between the ingredients and spices.
- Customizable: It’s so simple to add or leave out ingredients in this breakfast bowl recipe.
These breakfast bowls with potatoes are the perfect choice for weekday or weekend breakfasts. They’re so fun to make and are a great change from the usual breakfast sandwich or cereal.
What goes into a breakfast bowl?
I love my bowls to be full of flavor therefore I usually opt for a few key items:
- Salsa: CHI-CHI’s Fiesta Style Chile Tomatillo Verde Salsa added the perfect flavor to this breakfast bowl. CHI-CHI’s products make it easy to add festive flavor to any dish. This Chile Tomatillo Verde Salsa is made with quality ingredients such as tomatillos, fire roasted tomatoes, jalapenos, garlic and a delicious blend of spices. It takes a simple breakfast bowl to a whole new level by adding a zesty kick.
- Eggs: We love making scrambled eggs with Chile Tomatillo Verde Salsa.
- Black beans: These are perfect for a Mexican-inspired breakfast bowl. Beans are great for breakfast and will keep you full for a few hours.
- Potatoes: Good old home fries to compliment the eggs and beans.
- Bowl fixings and toppings: I always use some sour cream, avocados, tomatoes and cilantro for maximum flavor.
How to make Mexican breakfast bowl at home
Start by heating some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Break the eggs into a bowl and lightly whisk them. Pour the eggs into the hot pan and scramble them slowly. Once the eggs are almost cooked, pour CHI-CHI’s Fiesta Style Chile Tomatillo Verde Salsa into the pan and mix with the eggs.
Transfer the eggs into a plate. Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent and golden brown. Add in the potatoes and sauté until the potatoes are cooked through. Meanwhile, go ahead and rinse and drain the black beans.
Now it’s time to put the bowls together! Start by placing the scrambled eggs in the bowls. I love adding more salsa at this point. Then add the beans and the potatoes. Finish by adding a dollop of sour cream, a few slices of avocado and tomatoes to each bowl. Your tasty breakfast bowls are ready! Dig in!
Want to change things up in this breakfast bowl?
It’s so easy to elevate things when making your own breakfast bowls. Here are some of my ideas:
- Quinoa breakfast bowl: Add 3/4 cup cooked quinoa to each bowl before adding the eggs and potatoes.
- Chorizo breakfast bowl: Cook some chorizo and serve it with the potatoes and scrambled salsa eggs.
- Veggie breakfast bowl: Leave out the eggs and use sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and cauliflower instead. Lay the salsa on top of the veggies for maximum flavor.
- Sausage breakfast bowl: Sauté breakfast sausages in some oil and add them to the breakfast bowl.
Notes and tips for making this breakfast bowl recipe
- I love to have salsa scrambled eggs, but you can also make sunny side up eggs, hard boiled eggs, or poached eggs and serve with salsa on the side.
- You can use sweet potatoes instead of yellow potatoes.
- If you like the potatoes spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to them while frying.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight glass container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
CHI-CHI’s is available in grocery stores such as Price Chopper, Tops Market and SuperValu. Check out the store locator here.
Mexican Breakfast Bowl Recipe
An easy and tasty Mexican-inspired breakfast bowl made with fresh ingredients. Delicious scrambled eggs and home fries make a tasty bowl with fresh avocado and tomatoes.
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- 4 eggs lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup CHI-CHI's Fiesta Style Chile Tomatillo Verde Salsa
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 golden potatoes diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 can black beans 15 oz
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes I used baby tomatoes
- 1/3 cup cilantro
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
Whisk the eggs in a bowl and add a little salt and pepper
Pour the eggs into the hot pan and slowly scramble them.
Once the eggs are almost cooked, add in the salsa and mix well. Turn the heat off and set the eggs aside.
In another pan heat the remaining olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until golden and translucent.
Add in diced potatoes and fry them until fully cooked. Add in salt, pepper and cumin.
Meanwhile, rinse and drain the black beans and set them aside.
Place the eggs in the bowl on one side, place the black beans next to the eggs and then the potatoes and onions.
Top with a little sour cream on the side, next to beans and then some sliced avocados, fresh diced tomatoes and cilantro.