Baked Eggs with Sausage and Mushroom is a perfect breakfast dish for any day of the year. Fresh mushrooms and delicious sausage mixed with an amazing tomato sauce baked in the oven with eggs, can’t get any better!
I’m here with a really delicious post today!
How is December treating you so far? It’s really cold in Cambridge and I prefer to spend all day at home unless I really need to go out. But if we are home in this cold weather and we want something easy and really delicious that is not a drink, baked eggs with sausage and mushroom is a great option!
Why do we like our baked eggs with sausage and mushroom so much?
- It’s so easy and quick, not to mention amazingly tasty.
- Those cute small cast iron skillets!
I’ve wanted to post a breakfast recipe for such a long time, but something always would come up. Finally, when Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs reached out to me I didn’t see any reason to put off the idea any more! I mean, look at that golden yellow yolk!
Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs has been in business since late 1800’s and they are country’s first Certified Humane Free Range egg producer. They source their eggs sustainably from small family farms and the eggs are so fresh and delicious.
Let me tell you more about these baked eggs with sausage and mushroom. I can have this dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The combination is right on point and the flavors go so well together. I would say that it’s quite like shakshuka, but with a twist. The ingredients are very straight forward: red onion, red bell pepper, chicken sausage (or any other sausage you prefer) mushroom, diced tomatoes and of course, eggs.
Everything is done on the stove top and then divided into 4 small cast iron skillets (or one big one) and then you add the eggs and bake in the oven for 8-13 minutes (depending on how runny you like your eggs) and then voila, you have an awesome dish to devour.
I find it easier to cook everything in a big pan and then divide it between the cast irons and then break the eggs, but if you are planning to make baked eggs with sausage and mushroom in a large cast iron skillet, then you can just start with cooking everything in the same pan.
The key to a good baked eggs dish is the hot pan, so if you are going to wait until the last 8-13 minutes to transfer the mushroom-sausage mixture into the small cast iron skillets you may want to let those skillets sit in the oven while you’re pre-heating.
Have an awesome week!
This post has been sponsored by Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs. As always, all ideas and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Unicorns in the Kitchen!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 chicken sausages, out of the cover
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4-6 Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place 4 5.5" cast iron skillets in the oven.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and saute onion and bell pepper until onion is translucent and golden.
- Add in chicken sausage and cook it completely, breaking it into small pieces using a wooden spoon.
- Add in mushrooms, cook for 3 more minutes. Add in diced tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for two more minutes.
- Carefully take the skillets out of the oven using oven mitts. Divide the sausage and mushroom mixture among the skillets and break one egg into each skillet. Bake in the oven for 8 - 13 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs. 8 minutes for fully runny yolk and 13 for completely hard yolk.
If you are using a big cast iron skillet, skip step two and cook everything in the cast iron skillet then break the eggs into the mixture and bake in the oven.