Skillet hash browns with sausage and peppers is the perfect dinner for weeknights. This easy and simple dinner comes together in only 30 minutes!
We all love quick weeknights dinner right? Well, here is a new recipe for you, using delicious ingredients we all have!
A quick and easy dinner option
Weeknight dinners don't have to be a pain and take out or delivery isn't always the answer. Even if all we have on hand is a few common ingredients and a skillet, we can always make a delicious dinner at home.
Looking for more delicious easy dinners?
- One Pan 5-ingredient Chicken Skillet
- Persian Sausage and Potato Skillet - Sosis Bandari
- Chicken Chorizo Rice Skillet
- Quick Korean Beef
- One Pan Chicken Parmesan Pasta
I used Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns to make this dinner and loved how quick and easy it was to put a full dinner together!
A heavy bottom skillet is your best option for making hash browns on the stove. I suggest using a cast iron skillet. Place the skillet on the stove over medium heat and pour 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil into the skillet. Once the olive oil is hot and shimmery, add the hash browns into the pan and spread them using a spatula. Cook for 5-6 minutes over medium, medium-low heat. Cut the hash browns into smaller pieces using the spatula and flip. Cook the other side for 5-6 minutes until fully cooked.
For these skillet hash browns, I added the cooked hash browns to the sausage and peppers to turn it into a full dinner. You can serve this dish with a side salad. It's ready in only 30 minutes!
Notes and tips:
- Olive oil is great for hash browns. If you don't have olive oil, butter, vegetable or coconut oil would work, too.
- You can serve this dinner entrée with fixings such as lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa although this dish is a full dinner on its own.
- You can easily add eggs to this recipe. Simply mix the hash browns with sausage and pepper, open 4 small wells in the skillet, crack 4 eggs, and place one egg into each well. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes until the yolks are almost cooked.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- For more heat, add some diced jalapenos with the sausage.
You can add different veggies or leave out some of them. Be creative and experiment until you find your perfect combination of flavors!
Skillet Hash Browns
- 4 tablespoon Olive Oil Divided
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Diced
- 5 oz Mushrooms Sliced
- 12 oz Fully Cooked Chicken Sausage Links
- 1 teaspoon Taco Spice
- 2 packs Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Once hot, saute the onion until translucent.
- Next, add in diced green and red bell peppers. Saute until they're soft and shiny.
- Add in mushrooms and stir. Let them cook for 5 minutes.
- Cut each sausage link into half lengthwise. Then cut each half into 3 pieces lengthwise. Cut each piece into ¼" pieces.
- Add sausage into the skillet and cook for 10 minutes.
- Next, add in taco spice and mix well.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoon olive oil and saute Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns until fully cooked and crispy.
- Add the hash browns to cast iron skillet and mix with the sausage and vegetables.
- Serve warm.
- You can use red, green, orange or yellow bell peppers.
- Add some jalapeno for more heat.
- We used andouille chicken sausage but any other cooked sausage would work perfectly.