A Persian fast food favorite, this Persian sausage and potato skillet is quick to make and requires a handful of ingredients. We love to have it with Iranian bread but it would go great with a baguette, too!
I’m very excited for today’s post!
We are buried under the snow, my friends. A snow storm is covering the city with a gorgeous layer of white powder, so I don’t think I’ll be going outside today. And all I want to do is grab a warm bowl of soup or a drink and look at the beautiful snow through the window.
I remember when I was in Iran, when the weather would get this cold, we would get some stew from this shop that had the best stews ever. Stews are one of the many foods that are sold in Iranian fast food shops.
Sure we have burgers, fries, hot dogs, pizzas and other types of fast food but today I want to tell you about Persian style fast foods like this Persian Sausage and Potato Skillet, called Sosis Bandari.
We have many sandwich shops in Iran and they serve the best sandwiches ever. Many are vegetarian or are made with fresh ingredients. But like every other fast food, some of these sandwiches are better made at home. One of my favorite Iranian fast foods is Persian Sausage and Potato Skillet, a combination of sausage, onion, potatoes, garlic, tomato paste and spices.
And thanks to Dorot I don’t need to spend time peeling garlic, mincing the cloves and ending up with smelly hands. Dorot offers these cute packs of crushed garlic and different types of herbs that can be directly used from freezer and make life much easier! It’s a great choice for us because I use garlic in many of our recipes and Dorot is such a time saver!
To make this Persian Sausage and Potato Skillet, you need to take a few steps:
- Saute the potatoes: I usually use only 2 tablespoons of oil to saute and cook the diced potatoes because I don’t like using too much oil.
- Saute the onion and garlic, then cook the sausage: use a sausage that you can cut into half moons. I used chicken sausage.
- Add in tomato paste and spices, mix and add in the potatoes.
- Enjoy with some Persian bread like barbari (the one in the photo) or any other type of bread that you like!
I like to have my Persian Sausage and Potato Skillet with some fresh greens, therefore I used baby arugula. The fresh flavor of arugula goes so well with this delicious sausage and potato combo.
My maman used to make this dish very often and sometimes I used to take sausage and potato wraps to school Those were some good days, my friends!
Persian Sausage and Potato Skillet – Sosis Bandari
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil divided
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 big onion chopped
- 3 sausages I used chicken sausage
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- Cut the sausages into halves lengthwise, then cut each half into small pieces (half moons). Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat, saute the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until cooked, transfer them into a plate, set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp coconut oil in the same pan, saute onion until golden, add in sausages and saute until cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add in oregano, turmeric, paprika and cumin. Mix well. Add in tomato paste and mix well until combined.
- Add in cooked potatoes and stir nicely so the ingredients are all incorporated.
- Serve warm with fresh greens and bread.
I got my Dorot at Stop&Shop!