Bring more flavor to your winter days with this delicious Saffron Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. It has only a few ingredients and is jam packed with awesome flavors!
Finally back to Boston! I need some warm soup because it's just so cold here!
Can you resist the beautiful squashes in fall and winter? I can't. I'm simply too weak when it comes to colorful veggies. Even if I know that it's not in our weekly meal plan to have a dish made with any kind of squash, I always pick at least one when I'm at the supermarket, telling myself that it's ok to pick an extra butternut squash because you never know when you're going to crave this saffron roasted butternut squash soup!
The best thing about this soup is that you don't need to cook it on the stove. Yes, you heard it correct. All you need to do is roast the butternut squash and then blend everything in a blender and serve! Easy, quick and unbelievably tasty.
Another way to make it is to roast the butternut squash then dump everything in a pot and cook everything together for a bit, and then blend it using a blender or a hand blender. However you make it, this saffron roasted butternut squash soup will be delicious.
I strongly suggest not to skip the roasting part as roasting the butternut squash brings out tons of flavor and makes the texture much creamier. This soup borrows its gorgeous golden color from the combination of saffron and turmeric mixed with butternut squash and milk. As always, you need to use bloomed saffron and not saffron threads.
I personally like Mehr Saffron the best in the US. The flavor, aroma and color is just on point and how I like saffron to be.
This saffron butternut squash soup is one of our favorites during cold winter days. It's healthy and has a lot of health benefits because of saffron and turmeric.
More Soup Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Saffron Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup milk or any nut milk such as almond or cashew
- ¾ to 1 cup hot water depending on how watery the squash is
- 1 tablespoon bloomed saffron
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to top
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Toss the butternut squash chunks with olive oil then roast them in the oven for 30-35 minutes until fully cooked and tender.
- Place the butternut squash, milk, water, bloomed saffron, turmeric and salt in the blender. Start blending until smooth and silky, add more water if needed.
- Serve warm with freshly ground pepper.