This Mediterranean salad is loaded with fresh vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes and herbs. It's flavored with a delicious dressing and is ready in 15 minutes.
What I love the most about Mediterranean recipes is that they always call for fresh ingredients. Simple recipes like green bean salad, fattoush, Turkish tomato salad and tabbouleh are some of the best Mediterranean side dishes that compliment almost every dish out there. Today I'm going to show you how to make another show stopper: Mediterranean salad with just a few ingredients.
Table Of Contents:
The Best Mediterranean Style Salad
Mediterranean food is made with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Vegetables such as olive oil, tomatoes and onion have a bold role in almost all the Mediterranean recipes such as briam or ratatouille which makes them healthy and great for families.
We always keep fresh vegetables in the fridge so when we decide to make a salad, it's pretty easy and quick to put together a tasty side dish in no time.
Like our Mediterranean three bean salad, this salad is packed with so much flavor and fresh vegetables. It makes a great side dish for many dishes and is so simple to make. A great option for your parties and gatherings, this is a wonderful alternative to your usual salads.
Ingredients To Make Mediterranean Salad
- Cucumber: When it comes to making salads, I love using mini or Persian cucumbers because they are crisper and their seeds are smaller therefore there is no need to scoop them out.
- Tomatoes: Any kind of tomato would work for this easy everyday Mediterranean salad, I usually use roma tomatoes because they are firm and easy to slice.
- Red onion: I love adding red onion to salads, it adds flavor and a nice kick to the salad.
- Kalamata olives: Chopped olives are so good in salads. Make sure the olives are pitted. You can slice them or add them whole.
- Artichokes: To make a salad with artichokes, it's best to use marinated artichokes because they add so much flavor to the salad and you can even add some of the marinade to the dressing for more flavor.
- Herbs: I love using parsley but you can also use cilantro, mint or green onions.
To make the best Mediterranean salad dressing you need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil works best for this recipe.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds so much brightness to the dish.
- Garlic: It's best to mince your own garlic for this recipe and avoid packaged minced garlic.
- Sumac: If you've never tried sumac, now is the time. It's tangy and so delicious.
How To Make Mediterranean Salad
- Wash all the vegetables (except artichoke and olives) and let them dry.
- Once they are completely dry, chop them (make sure not to chop them too small) and place them in a large bowl.
- Using two large spoons, mix them all together. Make sure not to over mix the vegetables.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a mason jar or a bowl and pour it over the salad.
- Give it a final stir and serve immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
Like our favorite Persian salad, Mediterranean cucumber salad is a great side for rice dishes such as mujaddara or tomato rice. You can also serve this easy salad with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean main dishes such as Shish tawook, Mediterranena chicken or Beef shish kabob.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mediterranean salad is best served right away but it can also be made some hours ahead and serve the same day. In this case, add the dressing to the salad right before serving.
My Personal favorite is kalamata olives but you can also use jarred green olives as long as they're pitted.
Sumac has a unique tangy flavor and bright color that cannot be substituted with any other spice. However, if you don't have it on hand, add some more lemon juice so the dressing is tangy enough for you.
The recipe calls for parsley but you can use mint, cilantro, green onions, basil or a combination of a few herbs.
More Salad Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
The Best Mediterranean Salad Recipe
- 3 Persian cucumbers sliced
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup artichoke hearts halved
- 1 cup parsley chopped
Mediterranean Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, place cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, olives, artichoke hearts and parsley.
- Using two spoons, lightly mix the vegetables and put the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Make the Mediterranean salad dressing by mixing olive oil, lemon, sumac, garlic, salt and pepper in a mason jar or a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over salad and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Marinated artichokes would work very well for this recipe and add a lot of flavor.
- It's best to use pitted kalamata olives for this recipe but you can also use pitted or stuffed jarred green olives.
- Serve this salad with rice dishes such as mujaddara or tomato rice. You can also serve this easy salad with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean main dishes such as Shish tawook, Mediterranena chicken or Beef shish kabob.
The flavors here are total perfection!
Yum! This has all of the best ingredients in it. I will definitely make it again.
This was so delicious and full of flavors! I love the various veggies included!
This is so delicious!!! Perfect as a easy and light summer meal!
I needed a healthy lunch today and this was perfect! Thanks for sharing!
This salad was a hit this weekend! Everyone loved the flavors - will make again!
This is amazing! Fast and flavorful - just how I love my salads!
This looks so amazing! I always love a good mediterranean salad.
I LOVE this salad! Can't wait to make it all summer long!
I was so happy that I had all the ingredients for this salad on hand. I made it right away when I saw your recipe and it is amazing! The perfect lunch!
I love this salad, so simple and yet so full of flavor! I almost always have these ingredients on hand. In the summer I make it with fresh garden tomatoes and in the winter with cherry tomatoes.
I love Mediterranean flavors and this salad was so delicious!
Thank you Jennifer!