This Mediterranean salad is loaded with fresh vegetables such as cucumbers, tomatoes and herbs. This fresh salad is flavored with a delicious dressing.
What I love the most about Mediterranean recipes is that they always call for fresh ingredients. Simple recipes like fattoush, Turkish tomato salad and tabbouleh are some of the best Mediterranean side dishes that compliment almost every dish out there. Today I'm going to show you how to make another show stopper: Mediterranean salad with just a few ingredients.
A salad with Mediterranean flavors
Mediterranean food is made with fresh and seasonal ingredients. Vegetables such as olive oil, tomatoes and onion have a bold role in almost all the Mediterranean recipes such as briam or ratatouille which makes them healthy and great for families.
We always keep fresh vegetables in the fridge so when we decide to make a salad, it's pretty easy and quick to put together a tasty side dish in no time.
Like our Mediterranean three bean salad, this salad is packed with so much flavor and fresh vegetables. It makes a great side dish for many dishes and is so simple to make. A great option for your parties and gatherings, this is a wonderful alternative to your usual salads.
A combination of vegetables and herbs makes the best Mediterranean style salad:
- Cucumber: When it comes to making salads, I love using mini or Persian cucumbers because they are crisper and their seeds are smaller therefore there is no need to scoop them out.
- Tomatoes: Any kind of tomato would work for this easy everyday Mediterranean salad, I usually use roma tomatoes because they are firm and easy to slice.
- Red onion: I love adding red onion to salads, it adds flavor and a nice kick to the salad.
- Kalamata olives: Chopped olives are so good in salads. Make sure the olives are pitted. You can slice them or add them whole.
- Artichokes: To make a salad with artichokes, it's best to use marinated artichokes because they add so much flavor to the salad and you can even add some of the marinade to the dressing for more flavor.
- Herbs: I love using parsley but you can also use cilantro, mint or green onions.
Always make sure that all your vegetables are fresh and clean. Please wash all the greens and vegetables with water thoroughly and dry them completely before cutting them.
To make the best Mediterranean salad dressing you need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil works best for this recipe.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds so much brightness to the dish.
- Garlic: It's best to mince your own garlic for this recipe and avoid packaged minced garlic.
- Sumac: If you've never tried sumac, now is the time. It's tangy and so delicious.
- Salt and pepper
Wash all the vegetables (except artichoke and olives) and let them dry. Once they are completely dry, chop them and place them in a large bowl. Using two large spoons, mix them all together. Make sure you don't chop the ingredients too small or over mix the vegetables.
I prefer using pitted kalamata olives but you can also use green olives. You can either use them whole or halve them before adding to the salad.
Simply mix all the dressing ingredients in a mason jar or a bowl and pour it over the salad and mix right before serving. I love this dressing so much I always have a jar in the fridge in case of a salad emergency!
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
Mediterranean salad is best served right away but it can also be made some hours ahead and serve the same day. In this case, add the dressing to the salad right before serving.
More Mediterranean style salad recipes:
- Traditional Greek Salad Recipe
- Cucumber tomato feta salad
- Mediterranean couscous salad
- Turkish bulgur salad (Kisir)
Like our favorite Persian salad, Mediterranean cucumber salad is a great side for rice dishes such as mujaddara or tomato rice. You can also serve this easy salad with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean main dishes such as Shish tawook, Mediterranena chicken or Beef shish kabob.
The Best Mediterranean Salad Recipe
- 3 Persian cucumbers sliced
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup artichoke hearts halved
- 1 cup parsley chopped
Mediterranean Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1 tsp sumac
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, place cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, olives, artichoke hearts and parsley.
- Using two spoons, lightly mix the vegetables and put the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Make the Mediterranean salad dressing by mixing olive oil, lemon, sumac, garlic, salt and pepper in a mason jar or a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over salad and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Marinated artichokes would work very well for this recipe and add a lot of flavor.
- You can serve this salad alongside rice dishes, grilled chicken, fish or shish kabobs.