Here is a quick and easy instant pot vegetable soup with a Mediterranean twist. This pressure cooker soup recipe is perfect as a light dinner or lunch. Make sure you watch the video to quickly learn how to make Mediterranean vegetable soup in an instant pot.
I’m one of those people who can have soup any day of the year, no matter what season it is. From hearty soups like Mediterranean green lentil soup and lemon chicken orzo soup to light and easy ones like our popular turmeric red lentil soup, there is always something on this blog for soup lovers. This easy instant pot vegetable soup is another pressure cooker recipe that’s ready in virtually no time at all. It’s one of those “dump and go” recipes that doesn’t require hands-on cooking.
Easy instant pot vegetable soup
We love this easy homemade vegetable soup for a few good reasons:
- This soup comes together in just a few minutes.
- You can make a big batch and enjoy it throughout the week.
- It’s perfect for cold days when you’re craving warm comfort food.
- This vegan vegetable soup is made with delicious vegetables and is a healthy quick dinner.
What goes into homemade vegetable soup
To make this easy vegetable soup, you need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Spices – oregano, paprika, cumin, mint, salt and pepper
- Coarse bulgur
- Vegetable stock
- Navy beans
- Lemon juice
The ingredients for this vegan vegetable soup are pretty simple and easy to find. You can find bulgur in the middle eastern aisle of almost any supermarket. I love using baby spinach for this vegetable soup recipe because they’re small and there’s no need to chop them.
How to make vegetable soup in instant pot
This is an easy instant pot soup that you can make as a quick dinner or a healthy lunch. It’s also a good option for meal prep as it stays well in the fridge.
- Place the olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, diced carrot, spices, bulgur and vegetable stock in the instant pot. Give it a stir and lock the lid.
- Make sure the valve is on “sealing”. Press the “pressure cook” button and make sure it’s on high. Set the timer for 12 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then turn the valve to “venting” and do a quick release.
- Open the lid and add navy beans and baby spinach to the soup. Stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Serve warm with fresh lemon juice.
Should I use the soup setting?
I advise you not to use the soup setting because it’s a standard setting and is not based on the ingredients you’re using. So for a recipe like this instant pot vegetable soup where we have tender vegetables, the setting would be different from another recipe such as our instant pot lentil soup. It’s best to follow instructions and use the pressure cook function to make soup in instant pot.
What to serve instant pot vegetable soup with
A bowl of this vegetable soup is the ultimate comfort food for a chilly day. I love serving this pressure cooker soup with some warm crusty bread. If you enjoy making bread at home, give this no knead bread a try, it goes well with our vegetable soup!
Can I freeze this vegetable soup?
Most soups freeze really well therefore you can make a big batch and freeze it for winter days. Cook the soup in the pressure cooker as instructed and let it cool completely. Pour it into freezer safe containers and freeze for up to 2 months.
To serve, let the soup thaw in the fridge overnight and then heat in the microwave or on the stove top in a sauce pan over medium heat.
Want to jazz things up?
You can add other ingredients to this instant pot vegetable soup. Here are some suggestions:
- Add veggies such as green beans (not canned), cauliflower, potatoes or tomatoes.
- Leave out the navy beans and replace them with your favorite variety of bean.
- For spicy vegetable soup, add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper to the soup with all the other ingredients.
- To make this soup creamy, finish it with a splash of heavy cream when you add the spinach. If adding heavy cream, don’t freeze this soup and the cream might curdle.
- For more protein, you can add some leftover shredded chicken or try our instant pot poached chicken, it’s quick and always turns out perfect.
Looking for more Instant pot recipes?
- Instant pot hard boiled eggs
- How to make white rice in instant pot
- Instant pot brown rice
- Making yogurt in instant pot
Mediterranean Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup coarse bulgur
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can navy beans 15 oz.
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 lemon juice
- Place the chopped onion, minced garlic and diced carrot in the instant pot.
- Add in dried oregano, paprika, cumin, dried mint, salt and pepper.
- Add bulgur and vegetable stock.
- Lock the lid. Press the pressure cook button and set the timer for 12 minutes.
- Once the timing is done, do a natural release for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release.
- Open the lid, add in the rinsed canned navy beans and the baby spinach.
- Stir the soup until the spinach is wilted.
- Serve warm.
- You can add other vegetable such as fresh green beans, cauliflower, potatoes or tomatoes.
- If you don't like navy beans, use other canned beans that you prefer such as pinto beans or even chickpeas.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat.