Kabab Tabei is a delicious dish that you can make if you like to have kebabs but you don’t want to use a grill or you don’t have one. It’s simple and can be ready in an hour with a handful of ingredients!
There are so many delicious Persian recipes that you can make with the ingredients you have at hand. Some of the common Persian recipes are Joojeh Kabab (Persian Saffron Chicken Kebab), Zereshk Polo Morgh – Persian Barberry rice with Chicken, and Persian Split Chickpea Stew – Khoreshte Gheimeh.
That’s what I love about Persian food: homey, simple, delicious and full of love!
Kabab Tabei is very simple to make if you know a couple of notes and techniques:
- Meat: Traditionally my maman makes kabab tabei with a mixture of ground beef and lamb, I have made mine with only ground beef and the results are almost identical. It’s very important that the ground beef be as lean as possible and contains very little fat.
- Onion: Must be grated and then squeezed very hard so all the excess juice (which we don’t need) is out
- Mixing: All the ingredients should be mixed perfectly together and kneaded well. My maman always takes the mixture out of the bowl with her hand and drops it back in the bowl forty times. Works perfect every time!
That’s it! If you pay attention to these three key notes, there is no way you can’t make this delicious kabab tabei!
I love Persian food because it’s very nutritious, always made with fresh and seasonal ingredients and is also simple to make. It tastes like heaven and takes me back to my maman’s kitchen back in Tehran where my most beautiful memories were born.
How to make Kabab Tabe i
Grate the onion, squeeze it and discard the excess water. Add in turmeric, salt and black pepper. Mix and knead very well until everything is well combined.
Pour a little olive oil in a large pan and spread the beef mixture at the bottom of the pan using a spatula or simply the tip of your fingers. Divide the beef mixture into kebab pieces 2 inch wide using a spatula.
Place the pan over medium heat and cover the pan with a lid. Once the beef mixture starts releasing its juice, uncover and let the juice evaporate. Using a spatula, flip the kebabs and let the other side cook as well until it’s brown. Fry tomatoes in another pan and serve Kabab tabe i and fried tomatoes with some rice.
Well I’ve also got some news for you! We will be visiting Turkey soon, and my maman and baba will hopefully be there too! That means I’m going to meet my parents soon! I’m so excited and happy because I have some plans for the blog once I see my maman and baba! Stay tuned because you are about to see some good homemade Persian food! And well, maybe some Turkish food, too!
More ground beef recipes:
Tools and ingredients to make Kabab Tabei
Kabab Tabei - Persian Pan Kebab
- 1 lb ground beef 93% lean is the best
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 to matoes cut into quarters
- Grate the onion and squeeze fully so the juice is all out. Discard the juice.
- Put ground beef in a bowl, add grated onion and spiced to it. Mix and knead very well.*
- Coat the bottom of a pan using one tablespoon olive oil.
- Spread the beef mixture in the pan using a spatula or just your hands.
- Using a spatula, divide the mixture into strips.
- Place the pan on medium heat and cover with a lid.
- When it starts to release its juice, uncover and let the juice evaporate.
- Flip the kebabs using a spatula and let the other side brown, too.
- In a small pan, heat some olive oil and fry the tomatoes.
- Serve with white and saffron rice.
This post might contain affiliate links.