Zereshk polo morgh is one of the most famous dishes in Persian cuisine. It’s full of wonderful flavors such as saffron, turmeric and barberry.
This is my favorite Persian dish and there is a good reason for that: saffron.
Persian saffron barberry rice
If I had to choose only one flavor for the rest of my life, that flavor would definitely be saffron. Something about it makes it festive, magical and dreamy. It’s sweet, it’s savory and it comes from a gorgeous flower. And it travels a long way to be ready for use in our kitchens. That’s why I respect this spice so much. It has a special place in my spice drawer. I keep it in a special jar and I always say that it’s the best spice of them all.
How to make zereshk polo morgh
Zereshk Polo Morgh is a full meal that has two parts:
Zereshk polo: Barberry (Zereshk) saffron rice
Zereshk Polo Morgh has a few steps and notes:
First, saffron: There are a couple of different methods to bloom saffron. First of all, you should make sure to grind it finely and never use the whole threads. The method we use to bloom saffron is to place one cube of ice in a very tiny cup, sprinkle a few(1/8 – 1/4 tsp) grinds of saffron on it and let it sit at room temperature until the ice is fully melted and saffron is dissolved. You have the perfect bloomed saffron if the liquid has bright orange color. check out our post about blooming saffron to read more about saffron and its benefits.
Second: Barberry is an ingredient that we use often in Persian cuisine. You can find it in Middle Eastern stores or online (affiliate) I am going to post another recipe using barberry soon. It is sour and tasty, we usually mix it with some sugar to give it a sweet kick too. To make the barberry topping for Zereshk Polo Morgh, we mix them with a little water, oil, sugar and saffron, cook them over low hit for some minutes until they are dark red and shiny. Be very careful not to overcook them because they will stick to your teeth!
For Zereshk Polo Morgh, you need to cook some rice. You can easily make the Persian style rice and take some of the rice off the top, mix it with saffron and serve the rest of the rice on a plate and top it with saffron rice mixed with barberries.
Like many other Persian dishes, Zereshk Polo Morgh also has different methods of cooking depending on the maman cooking it, the method I am posting here is how my maman makes it and to me, it’s the best and most delicious in the world.
To make the tomato paste sauce, heat some olive oil in a small sauce pan and lightly heat black pepper, turmeric and salt in it. Add in the tomato paste and cook it for a few minutes. Add in water and bring it to a low simmer. Cook for about 3 minutes and turn the heat off.
It’s best to always sear spiced chicken first until golden brown, takes them out of the pan, sautes onions, carrots and peppers in the same pan, add salt, pepper, turmeric and saffron and then places the chicken on top and add the tomato paste sauce to the chicken and veggies and let everything simmer and cook for almost 40 minutes. If we want it really super delicious, we add a tad bit of butter to it too.
“Butter Makes Zereshk Polo Morgh Better!”
How to serve Persian zereshk polo
To serve Zereshk Polo Morgh, we sometime serve the rice and chicken in two different big serving dishes and pour the sauce with the veggies over the chicken. If we serve them in individual plates, we serve the sauce in a separate bowl so everyone can pour it on their chicken as desired. You can also serve it with some Salad Shirazi on the side!
Zereshk Polo Morgh is so delicious, it is worth every second spent in the kitchen making it. It’s a story of spices, homemade food, family and love, all in one spoonful of deliciousness!
Looking for more delicious recipes?
- Advieh (Persian Spice Mix)
- Moroccan Chicken Recipe with Couscous
- Joojeh Kabab (Persian Chicken Kebab)
- Cornish Hen Recipe with Cranberry Orange Glaze
- Persian Saffron Chicken
- Harissa Chicken with Saffron Couscous
- Pomegranate Pineapple Chicken Recipe
Tools and ingredients to make Zereshk Polo Morgh
Zereshk Polo Morgh - Persian Barberry Rice with Chicken
- 4-5 threads of saffron finely ground
- 1-2 ice cubes
Tomato Paste Sauce:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tbp tomato paste
- 1 - 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 5 pieces chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp liquid saffron
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper cut into chunks
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 tbsp liquid saffron
- 3 tbsp barberries
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp liquid saffron
- 2 times the recipe of Persian Style Rice on the blog
- 2 tbsp liquid saffron
- Place the ice cubes in a very small cup and sprinkle saffron on top. Let it sit in room temperature until fully melted and saffron is dissolved.
Tomato Paste Sauce:
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add turmeric, salt and pepper and let the spices mix for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and saute until dark red.
- Add water and bring to boil, let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Put it aside.
Chicken and Veggies:
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a big pan over medium heat.
- Add butter and let it melt.
- Put the chicken thighs in the pan, skin side down.
- Pour liquid saffron all around the pan, tilt the pan a bit so the saffron gets to the skin.
- Sear the chicken until the skin is golden brown and crispy, about 7 minutes.
- Flip the chicken thighs so the other side also gets golden brown. About 5 minutes.
- Take the chicken thighs out of the pan, add onion, bell pepper and carrots to the pan. There is no need for more oil as the chicken thighs have rendered fat.
- Saute the veggies for 2 minutes and place the chicken on them, skin side up.
- Add the tomato paste sauce to the pan and add the liquid saffron.
- Bring to simmer and let it cook on low heat for 40-45 minutes until veggies are soft and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile make the rice. (Recipe on the blog)
- minutes before serving, prepare the barberries:
- Put the barberries, water, oil, sugar and liquid saffron. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Put the pan on low heat and cook the barberries until bright red and shiny.
- Take 4-5 tbsp of Persian style rice and mix it with 2 tbsp liquid saffron, set it aside. You can mix some cooked barberries into it or just serve the barberries on top.
- Serve some Persian style rice on a plate and add the saffron barberry rice on top of it.
- Serve the chicken on the side with some sauce drizzled on top and some served in a bowl for additional taste.
Persian Style Rice recipe is on the blog.
*To make the chicken more delicious, add some butter on top when you add the sauce to simmer.
*** for more explanation, please read the post completely.