When the weather is nice and the sun is out, all we want to do is pack and go on a picnic! Planning a picnic can be super simple and easy if you just know a couple of tips and tricks!
The sun is finally out here is Boston and we are so tempted to spend every minute outside. The breezy weather and blue skies call for a picnic any day of the week!
Through the years I've learned to enjoy little things: bird songs, sunny days, shapes of clouds, even the movement of leaves can make my heart skip a little bit. That's why when the weather gets a little bit warm, I always pack a picnic basket and we go on a picnic to the river near our home to spend some hours out with family to chill, get some fresh air and eat delicious food.
If you're not a picnic fan because you think they require so much work and cleanup, this post is for you. With just a few tips, you can have an easy, clean and mess-free picnic any day!
Where to go for a picnic?
It's very important to know where you would like to go. Choose a place that is accessible and easy to get to especially if you don't have a car. Make sure it's a kid-friendly place if you're going with children. We usually go on a picnic with my brother and his family, so there is a kid with us. Flat ground, accessible water and bathrooms are a plus.
What to take for the picnic?
There are some basics that you should carry with you when going on a picnic:
- Picnic blanket: I like a waterproof blanket as you can just use it anywhere even if the grass is a bit wet.
- Paper plates, cups and utensils: Try to use recyclables.
- Wet wipes: It's easy to clean your hands after meals if you have wet wipes.
- A small first aid kit: You never know who might fall down and scratch their arm!
- Bottled water: Always stay hydrated!
- Sunscreen: Take some for both adults and kids, especially if you're going to be out in the sun for more than thirty minutes.
- Hand sanitizer: Easy way to clean hands before eating..
- Food (we'll get to this soon)
- Trash bags: We use Hippo Sak because they are strong and have hand friendly handles. Also, they have reinforced bottoms which prevents holes, leaks and tears.
So, what about the food?
We love to take a lot of fruit and veggies to our picnic and we also pack sandwiches or food that's easy to eat and doesn't make a mess. Here are some tips about food for picnic:
- Wash and dry all the fruit and veggies beforehand. This will save you time and effort.
- If the fruits should be peeled, like oranges, peel them at home and store them in an airtight container.
- Muffins are always a good snack for picnics.
- Mess-free food like falafel and sandwiches are perfect for lunch.
- If you're taking melon or watermelon for your picnic, slice them beforehand.
Have fun with family and friends!
Especially if you have kids with you, make sure they're having a good time. Turn your cellphone off for some time and spend quality time with kids. Playing in the park is so much fun as long as you know the games. Some of our favorites are catch, sack race and tossing the ball into the ball using Hippo Sak® because of their strength and handles.
And finally, don't forget to clean up!
It's very important to keep the environment clean. It takes less than ten minutes to clean up and put all the trash in a bag. We usually do that with kids to also teach them how to keep the nature clean. Hippo Sak® is really good for this as it has handles that kids can easily use to carry it around.
So, you see, it's pretty easy to go on a picnic. Pack a bag and go have fun!