Banana bread with applesauce is the perfect afternoon snack! Learn how to make the best healthy banana bread using applesauce and just a few ingredients.
Did you know we have over ten banana bread recipes here on the blog? Our most popular banana bread recipe is the oatmeal banana bread and our chocolate lovers love the double chocolate banana bread and chocolate chip banana bread.
Ever wondered what you can substitute for vegetable oil in banana bread? Here is your answer: the good old applesauce. The texture is perfect for banana bread and it keeps the bread just as soft and moist but with much fewer calories.
Healthy banana bread recipe with applesauce
Did you know that store made banana breads are usually full of unnecessary amounts of sugar and butter? If you love banana bread and make it often, you might want to give this healthy banana bread with applesauce a chance. The best part about this healthy banana bread is not dry at all thanks to the apple sauce. Even though this banana bread recipe is made without butter, it’s super moist and flavorful. It’s not too sweet and is packed with flavor thanks to ripe bananas.
What does apple sauce replace in baking?
Applesauce is a great substitute for eggs or fat in baking. In this banana bread recipe applesauce is used in place of butter or oil. It keeps the banana bread moist while cutting the calories. The texture of this applesauce banana bread is perfectly soft and fluffy without being even a bit greasy.
Ingredients to make healthy banana bread
You need the following ingredients to make this healthy banana bread:
- Greek yogurt
- Flour and baking powder
Ripe bananas work best for this recipe. Make sure the bananas have dark skin on the outside but not super dark. You still want to see some yellow on the skin.
How to make banana bread using applesauce
Start by mixing mashed bananas and sugar in a mixing bowl followed by the applesauce. Then add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
Mix in the Greek yogurt and vanilla and finish by adding the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Fold in half of the walnuts into the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. Test the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the banana bread. If it comes out with raw batter, let it bake in the oven for another ten minutes. Cool the bread in the pan for about 10 minutes and then transfer it to a cooling rack.
How long can I keep this banana bread at room temperature?
I love having banana bread fresh. However, you can keep it covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. Make sure the bread is covered fully with a plastic wrap to stay fresh.
Can I freeze banana bread made with applesauce?
Absolutely! It’s so easy to freeze banana bread. I prefer to slice it and wrap each slice individually in a wax or parchment paper and freeze. You can freeze banana bread slices for up to 3 months. To serve, simply thaw at room temperature or microwave.
Can I turn this recipe into muffins?
Yes! I’m not sure how many muffins this recipe yields. Divide the batter between the muffin liners and fill 2/3 of each muffin liner. Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes.
Notes and tips to make banana bread without butter
- For this healthy banana bread recipe use unsweetened applesauce since you’re already using one cup of sugar.
- I use non fat Greek yogurt to make this banana bread recipe but you can use 1% or whole Greek yogurt as well.
- The walnuts are optional in this recipe but they give such nice crunch to each slice of banana bread so if you like the crunch, don’t skip the walnuts!
- To have clean slices, make sure the banana bread is cooled completely then slice it using a bread knife.
- You can serve this delicious and healthy banana bread with some almond butter for breakfast.
Looking for more recipes using applesauce?
Healthy Banana Bread with Applesauce
- 3 bananas ripe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9X5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash the bananas using a fork. Mix bananas and sugar until all combined. Add in applesauce and whisk well.
- Add the eggs one at a time and whisk well after each addition.
- Add the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder and baking soda to the batter, mix until there are no flour lumps left.
- Fold in the walnuts using a wooden spoon. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes until fully baked. Insert a toothpick into the middle of the banana bread. If it comes out clean or with little crumb, it's ready.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Let the banana bread cool completely before slicing it.