This double chocolate banana bread is moist and super delicious. Make this tasty chocolate banana bread for breakfast or dessert!
I’m all about banana bread these days. This chocolate chip banana bread is the best banana bread recipe on our site so far. Pumpkin banana bread is a close runner up, but this chocolate banana brad has opened doors to a whole new world!
Why is this chocolate banana bread a winner?
This is probably one of the best banana bread recipes out there for a few good reasons:
- All the chocolate goodness in this bread makes it a chocolate lover’s dream come true.
- It’s the perfect easy banana bread recipe to use up all those bananas that are sitting on the counter.
- This cocoa banana bread is vert moist and has the best texture.
- It’s topped with more chocolate chips which makes this banana bread even more chocolate-y!
- The brown sugar used in this delicious banana bread recipe holds everything together and makes this a dense, moist and utterly delicious banana bread!
- The chocolate and banana combination is perfect for breakfast and dessert!
While you might love a classic sour cream banana bread, this chocolate banana bread is also a great options when you crave chocolate.
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Ingredients
For this amazingly delicious chocolate banana bread recipe you need the following ingredients:
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Chocolate chips
I love how basic and simple the ingredients for this banana bread recipe are yet together they make an absolutely moist chocolate banana bread. Moreover, you can also add nuts such as walnuts or cashews to turn this into a chocolate banana nut bread, the possibilities are endless!
How to make double chocolate banana bread
First of all, melt the butter and cool it. Then mix it with granulated and brown sugar and add in the eggs. Make sure everything is well combined before you add mashed bananas and buttermilk to the batter. Finally, add in all the dry ingredients and half of the chocolate chips. I always save half of the chocolate chips to top this chocolate banana bread with so they melt while cooking and make the cacao banana bread even more delicious.
Notes and tips to make chocolate banana bread
- You can use 1/2 cup vegetable oil or olive oil for baking instead of butter for this simple banana bread recipe.
- Use dark chocolate chips to make this into a dark chocolate banana bread.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, simply use the same amount of yogurt or sour cream.
- Make sure the double chocolate banana bread is baked in the middle. Insert a toothpick in the middle of the bread and if it comes out with a few to no crumbs, the banana bread is done.
- Let the banana bread cool completely before slicing it to avoid having too many crumbs.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large bowl.
- Add in egg and mix well.
- Add in mashed bananas and buttermilk to the egg mixture and mix using an electric hand mixer or a whisk.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and mix with a wooden spoon until combined and no lumps left. Do not over mix.
- Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour the chocolate banana bread batter into the loaf pan and top with 1/2 cup remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with little to no crumbs.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- To make homemade buttermilk, mix 1/3 cup milk with 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice.
- You can use 1/3 cup sour cream or yogurt instead of buttermilk.
- You can use chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips.